GENERAL SUMMARY OF POSITION:
Under the general direction of the Associate Vice Chancellor of Facilities Management or designee, the Director hires, manages and develops the staff of the Space Planning Department. The Director is responsible for overseeing all facility-planning and CAFM activities for the University of Massachusetts Medical School (UMMS). The Director will be responsible for the preparation of planning analysis and the tactical implementation of facilities initiatives in support of UMMS. The Director is responsible for managing the data related to all UMMS space assets (owned and leased) on all campus locations across the state. The Director is the key administrative point of contact with and between internal and external parties related to space management issues and prepares and presents space plans and options to senior UMMS leadership as requested.
- Prepare reports for senior administration including organizational space allocations, space utilization analysis, relocation block planning options and recommendations related to departmental space requests.
- Receive, review, process and maintain data for all departmental and organizational space requests.
- Develop and maintain computerized space inventory data and reporting systems develop and validate program scope, and schematic design and cost estimates on all UMMS renovation and construction projects.
- Development and maintenance of accurate and up to date information in UMMS space database.
- Maintain space inventory data to support institutional reporting requirements, including federal indirect cost reports and space utilization reports.
- Oversee development and refinement of software inventory and reporting systems, including standards for data collection, validation, organization, and data input as well as customizing and producing periodic report.
- Participate in senior management space utilization committees responsible for short and long-term space planning and construction initiatives. Actively participate in strategic, business, and capital planning for current and future facility requirements of UMMS.
- Develop project scope, conceptual design, and cost estimates prior to transfer to Facilities Management for design and construction.
- Interface with UMMS department directors concerning facility renovations and/or new construction, projects.
- Responsible for software development/maintenance.
- Workload for staff made up of planners, data entry and departmental IS systems personnel.
- Personnel issues related to staff including, hiring, firing and other personnel actions
- Develop and manage the operational and capital budget.
- Implement departmental policies and guidelines.
- Perform other duties as required.
- Master’s degree in Engineering, Architecture, Building Science or equivalent experience
- 10 years of relevant institutional planning experience.
- Progressively responsible management experience, including supervision of staff and midlevel managers and effective relationships with a senior executive management team.
- Experience in a collegiate, medical school and/or healthcare environment is preferred.
- Thorough understanding of the technical aspects associated with space management and project planning.
- Strong leadership, team building and managerial skills.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills.
- Excellent written, graphic and oral communication skills.
- Broad knowledge of research and teaching space facility and utilization requirements.
- Ability to travel to off-site locations
UMass Medical School is committed to being an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer and recognizes the power of a diverse community. We encourage applications from protected veterans, individuals with disabilities and those with varied experiences, perspectives and backgrounds to consider UMass Medical School as their employer of choice.