At HDR, we specialize in engineering, architecture, environmental and construction services. While we are most well-known for adding beauty and structure to communities through high-performance buildings and smart infrastructure, we provide much more than that. We create an unshakable foundation for progress because our multidisciplinary teams also include scientists, economists, builders, analysts and artists. That’s why we believe diversity is our greatest strength. HDR is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and an affirmative action employer.
Watch our 'About Us' video
We believe that the way we work can add meaning and value to the world. That ideas inspire positive change. That coloring outside the lines can illuminate fresh perspectives. And that small details yield important realizations. Above all, we believe that collaboration is the best way forward.
About the LA Office
The LA office is a dynamic design practice focused in the markets of Health, Education, Science and Technology, Workplace and Civic Works. Our projects are complex in nature and we are focused on providing innovative solutions to support the evolution of our client’s enterprise.
We have an active Young Professionals Group and experienced professionals to mentor and support goals and licensure. The office is a supportive environment that believes if individual goals are met, the firm with prosper as well. Currently located in Pasadena, the LA office is moving downtown in Spring 2017.
Presently, we are seeking an Intermediate Interior Designer / Interior Architect to work on a variety of projects and tasks as an integral member of the growing Los Angeles team in an open and collaborative environment.
This position of Intermediate Interior Designer / Interior Architect requires a degree in Interior Design or Interior Architecture and a goal to be NCIDQ certified. The position demands the ability to communicate well verbally and graphically, work independently and collaboratively with a team to lead the design of high-performance environments. While working closely with clients, multi-disciplinary teams, and studio design leaders, the role is responsible for conceptualizing and integrating ideas into space, expression and experience. The successful candidate will embody strong conceptual design abilities, excellent communication and teamwork skills, and the motivation to engage with the array of HDR resources in achieving high-performance, idea driven, sustainable outcomes.
In the role of Intermediate Interior Designer / Interior Architect, we'll count on you to:
- Take responsibility for the interior design/space planning of projects working closely with the rest of the design team, assisting with conceptual design through construction documents, specifications and construction.
- Demonstrate substantial knowledge of interior design and planning principles, building and planning code requirements, specification preparation and organization, construction costs and methods, and contract preparation and negotiation
- Demonstrate experience in selecting interior details, materials, color selections, furniture and furnishings selections, lighting design, space planning, and detailing
- Build the finishes & resources library; stay current with trends.
- Work with and present to clients on projects of any size.
- Coordinate work with other disciplines.
- Assist other Interior Designers or team members, and work in all phases of the interior design process
- Assist in construction administration by responding to RFI’s, preparing sketches and visiting the construction site to gather information and/or prepare punch list.
- Prepare presentations via digital, finish board and/or finish books
- Perform other duties as needed
Preferred Skills & Qualifications:
- Bachelor or Master’s Degree in Interior Design or Interior Architecture
- 6- 10 years of professional design experience specific to Commercial Interior Design
- Previous design experience working in Healthcare, Workplace, Education or Science and Technology markets is greatly desired.
- Licensed or progressing toward licensure or certification (NCIDQ); LEED Accreditation & CID a plus
- Proficiency in Revit with 3D modeling skills & Adobe Creative Cloud (InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop)
- Demonstrated knowledge of Sketchup (V-Ray plug-in) and Bluebeam
- Experience with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Project PowerPoint) required.
- Knowledge of all aspects of interior design including lighting design, millwork/casework design, programming and space planning.
- Experience with interior documentation and detailing
- Proficient with furniture selection, budgets, specification and bidding
- Strong design sensibility (colors and materials), conceptual design and schematic design skills
- Strong verbal and graphic communication skills; effective client relationship skills and talent for working with diverse teams of designers and consultants.
- Experience in coordinating interior design elements including lighting, artwork and environmental graphics
- Ability to manage multiple projects and multiple deadlines
- Strong organizational, oral and written communication skills
- Experience and/or interest in sustainable design/LEED is required.
- An attitude and commitment to being an active participant of our employee-owned culture is a must.
At HDR, we know work isn’t only about who you work for; it’s also about what you do and how you do it. Led by the strength of our values and a culture shaped by employee ownership, we network with each other, build on each other’s contributions, and collaborate together to make great things possible. When you join HDR, we give you license to do the same. We help you take charge of your career, giving you multiple growth opportunities along the way.