SmithGroupJJR is an international idea-oriented design firm that is committed to creating inspiring places that enrich the human spirit. We believe that extraordinary projects are created when the design process is based on the principles of exploration, experimentation, innovation, sustainability, research, and collaboration. Our expertise in providing thoughtful and innovative solutions keeps SmithGroupJJR at the forefront of architectural, engineering and planning firms around the world. According to the 2017 Building Design + Construction magazine “Giants” ranking, SmithGroupJJR is the 7th largest architecture/engineering firm in the U.S.
The Detroit, Michigan office of SmithGroupJJR, named one of Southeast Michigan’s Top 100 Workplaces by the Detroit Free Press in 2013, 2014, 2015, and 2016, is looking for a Design Architect to join our team. Our practices offer local, national and international projects of all sizes including opportunities with our other offices.
Working with us, you will:
- Be able to independently provide the full range of architectural services on a small to medium-sized project.
- Create and develop planning and design concepts for more complex projects.
- Assess design requirements.
- Prepare presentation drawings and assist in presentations both internally and externally.
- Oversee the design work of others to ensure integrated and cohesive designs.
- Present design solutions to client representatives and/or design review committees
- Supervise the development of renderings for client presentations.
- Mentor and train junior and intermediate staff.
- Participate in the preparation of proposals after being given the vision and strategy for the marketing effort.
- Maintain and develop relationships with past, current and new clients.
- Take an active role in a local professional association.
An ideal candidate has:
- 7 – 10 years of experience with a professional degree in Architecture
- LEED AP or LEED BD+C or LEED GA accreditation preferred.
- Architectural Registration preferred.
- High proficiency with Revit, AutoCAD, Sketch-up, Photoshop, Illustrator and In-Design programs.
- Ability to travel
- Ability to produce and coordinate a complete set of construction documents for permitting and bidding on small projects.
- Ability to demonstrate effectiveness in working in a team setting, communicating with others, customer satisfaction and technical competence.
SmithGroupJJR offers competitive compensation and an excellent benefit package, including 401(k) and continuing educational reimbursement. We offer 3 weeks of paid time off within the first year of employment, with the option of purchasing additional time off, and pay for 7 or 8 federal holidays. We also offer an alternative work schedule that provides employees with an additional 15 days off per year (usually Fridays) to help with work/life balance.
Interested in joining us? Get started today by clicking the link below, or by contacting us at:
500 Griswold, Suite 1700
Detroit, MI 48226
Equal Opportunity Employer/Veterans/Disabled
SmithGroupJJR is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
Instructions for applying – please read carefully.
- Go to www.smithgroupjjr.com and go to the Careers page / Detroit.
On the Design Architect posting, please click the Apply here link. Fill in the required information, submit a letter of interest with salary requirements, current resume and samples of design work as attachments. No phone calls please.