HOK is a global design, architecture, engineering and planning firm. With offices around the globe, we create a better world through the design of buildings and spaces that respond to the needs people and the environment. Our designers are rooted in technical excellence, driven by imagination and focused on delivering solutions that inspire clients and communities.
The St. Louis Post-Dispatch named HOK’s St. Louis office one of the area’s Top Workplaces for 2018.
We are currently seeking a Science + Technology Architectural Regional Leader to join our Science and Technology group in St. Louis, MO. The Regional Leader of S+T is responsible for winning new commissions, leading project teams as Principal-in-Charge, and leading the business unit’s S+T practice in business development, project design/delivery, client relations, financial management and staff development. The ideal candidate will have experience in the planning, design and implementation of S+T projects
- Is an extended member of the S+T practice leadership team and participates in defining the vision, strategy, and business plans for the firmwide practice
- Is the primary representative for S+T in their region
- Fulfills the firmwide regional market business unit criteria:
- Is a subject matter expert
- Can win new work
- Can lead teams as Principal-in-Charge
- Participates in Market leadership
- Participates in Regional Practice Leadership Group
- Will occasionally serve as principal-in-charge (PIC) for S+T projects
- Understands the industry, regional client sensitivities, and market drivers
- Participates with other S+T Regional Leaders and Directors of S+T in HOK firmwide activities
- Strong communication skills
- Effective collaborator and a good partner
- Fosters a culture of external and internal client service
- Provides day-to-day administration of the S+T regional practice
- Is the primary S+T Liaison with the regional business unit
- Is responsible the successful execution of the defined practice goals and business plan
- Serve as Principal-In-Charge (PIC) and/or Project Manager on one or more projects
- Responsible for S+T regional projects
- Regularly reports regional status to S+T firmwide leadership team
- Assists in preparing project fee and workload projections
- With the appointed PM, is responsible for regional S+T project performance
- Monitors and maintains an appropriate level of chargeability
- Responsible for the development and execution of the S+T practice’s regional marketing strategy
- Identifies new business opportunities
- Maintains and grows current client relationships
- Proactively seek out new opportunities and prospects
- Participates in regional S+T marketing and business development opportunities, proposals, interviews and presentations
- Develops and maintains positive industry relationships (i.e. with consultants, contractors and jurisdictional/approval agencies) to support HOK’s standing in the regional marketplace
- Assists in preparation of other related marketing, promotional, and press-related materials
- Regularly participates in the S+T industry activities by way of speaking, presenting and/or writing to enhance the S+T practice’s thought leadership
- Serves as mentor/advisor to S+T related regional staff
- Leads S+T input on regional staff performance evaluations, including recommendations for bonus and promotion
- Promotes and supports diversity
- Participates in recruiting of S+T related staff
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE + SKILLS:
- Bachelor’s degree in architecture or equivalent in education or experience required. Master’s degree preferred.
- 10 years of science and technology experience, with at least 5 years in a management/leadership role.
- Published and/or award winning projects a plus.
- Licensed Architect with current registration in your region required, if licensure is offered in your region.
- NCARB registration preferred.
- LEED AP or GA required within 12 months of employment.
- Demonstrated creativity, passion and interest in design and planning of S+T focused facilities.
- Advanced knowledge in S+T programming/planning, design development and project leadership.
- Advanced knowledge of technical and regulatory requirements for S+T facilities.
- Thorough knowledge of sustainability, integrated design and LEED guidelines.
- Through understanding of the current laboratory design codes and guidelines.
- Knowledge of buildingSMART, Building Information Modeling (BIM) and Integrated Project Delivery (IDP).
- Ability to manage the S+T department with a collaborative leadership style which puts value on relationships, both internal and external.
- Thorough understanding of project work plans, schedules, staffing, and budgets.
- Ability to think strategically, implements change, enforces policy and resolve conflict.
- Proven ability to prioritize oneself and the work of others in order to meet deadlines and provide high quality service to clients.
- Proven ability to create and maintain strong working relationships with external clients and internal staff.
- Proven ability to masterfully present, effectively sell and negotiate the services of HOK.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Proficiency in the basic technical skills of architecture including the following computer skills:
- Proficiency in Deltek Vision highly preferred.
- Proficiency in Primavera or MS Project preferred.
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite.
- Proficiency in Newforma preferred.
- Proficiency in AutoCAD/Architectural Desktop preferred.
- Proficiency in Revit is preferred.
- Knowledge of 3D Modeling software such as 3D Studio Max and Viz 2006 preferred.
- Knowledge of Photoshop, Illustrator, Sketchup, and InDesign graphic software preferred.