The Facilities Maintenance and Engineering (FME) Directorate is responsible for laboratory space, administrative space, infrastructure, campus landscape, planning, design, maintenance and construction management at Frederick National Laboratory for Cancer Research.
The Mechanical Engineer III is responsible for:
- Designing HVAC systems, mechanical equipment, plumbing and process piping for laboratory renovations and facilities improvements
- Providing technical guidance to contractors, A&Es, scientific personnel and maintenance shops
- Reviewing A/E plans and specifications
- Establishing specifications for new equipment
- Ensuring compliance with engineering practices and established laws, codes, regulations, and standards
- Performing on-site technical inspections of equipment and systems to ensure design and specification compliance
To be considered for this position, you must minimally meet the knowledge, skills, and abilities listed below:
- Possession of a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college/ university according to the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) in engineering. (Additional qualifying experience may be substituted for the required education). Foreign degrees must be evaluated for U.S. equivalency.
- In addition to the educational requirements, a minimum of four (4) years of experience in engineering design of HVAC and piping systems.
- Experience designing using AutoCAD software
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a security clearance
- Experience in mechanical design of laboratory renovations and campus utilities
- Experience in laboratory construction and facilities maintenance
- Familiarity with scientific/laboratory equipment and experience in the design of BSL2 laboratories
- Licensed Professional Engineer or Engineer in Training
- Ability to multi task and stay organized in a fast-paced environment
- Strong communication skills with all levels of personnel through written and oral presentations
- Ability to work in a team and communicate with management
Leidos is a global science and technology solutions leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported pro forma annual revenues of approximately $10 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2016 after giving effect to the recently completed combination of Leidos with Lockheed Martin's Information Systems & Global Solutions business (IS&GS). For more information, visit www.Leidos.com. The company’s diverse employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status. Leidos will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment in accordance with relevant Laws. Leidos is an equal opportunity employer/disability/vet.