Salary: $12.63 - $17.75 per hour
The Vivian Olum Child Development Center offers a comprehensive program providing education and care for infants through elementary school-aged children. The center's mission is to serve the needs of university employees’ families by providing a foundation of experiences that foster growth and development of children and a safe and nurturing environment for children and families. The center consists of seven classrooms which collectively serve over 100 children each day.
The Vivian Olum Child Development Center is a unit within Campus Services in the Finance and Administration portfolio. Finance and Administration is a vibrant and varied portfolio serving all aspects of campus life. Our employees perform a wide range of functions including offering essential financial tools and support to the university’s many departments, providing key resources to employees, and keeping campus safe, clean, accessible and beautiful.
The purpose of this position is to assist classroom teaching staff in carrying out daily activities and curriculum with children. This position develops knowledge and familiarity in all of our classrooms, builds relationships with staff and children, and exhibits adaptability to provide consistency and support in classrooms while teachers are engaged in meetings, preparation, or other activities. This position is also responsible for assisting the lead teacher in planning and implementing a recreational and enriching, after school, school-day-out, and summer child development program for children 5-11 years of age. The employee will participate in planning the classroom curriculum, interact with children and parents and provide daily on-site supervision of classroom personnel in the absence of a lead teacher. They will transport children by walking or by bus from designated area schools and other locations as requested, and contribute to maintaining the safety and continuity of the program.
This job takes place in a facility constructed as a child-care center. This job requires bending, lifting up to 50 lbs, and sitting on the floor on a daily basis. The position duties include walks outside the building. There is frequent exposure to cleaning solutions such as disinfectant hand soap and sanitizing agents. The work environment may frequently include high noise and activity levels. There is frequent exposure to childhood illnesses.
The center is open 7:30 am to 6:00 pm Monday - Friday. Scheduled hours will fall within this time frame. This is a year-round full-time position.
• Must be teacher qualified for infant/toddler through school-age children.
• Must have clearance with the Child Care Division's Background Registry prior to the start of work.
• Must have, within 90 days of employment, First Aid, Infant/child CPR, food handler's card.
• A valid driver’s license and the ability to obtain UO Driver's Certification.
• A minimum of twenty semester hours (thirty quarter hours) of college courses in Early Childhood Education, Child Development, or Special Education; OR
• A Child Development Associate (CDA) credential; OR
• One year of full-time experience in a certified day care center or comparable child care program.
If you are qualifying for this position based on work experience, your experience must be with infant/toddler through school age children. If you are qualifying based on your college course work, please submit a transcript or list the applicable courses and credit hours. Courses must be from an accredited college or university.
• Ability to communicate effectively with children, parents, and staff from diverse backgrounds and cultures.
• Associate's or Bachelor's degree in early childhood or related field.
• Experience in a full-day childcare environment.
• Attained step 8 on the Oregon Registry.
TO APPLY: Visit our website, create an account and submit a complete application.