Salary: $12.61 to $17.53 per hour
The University of Oregon Police Department (UOPD) is a community oriented and trust based policing agency within the University of Oregon. UOPD plays an integral role in the university community by providing a safe, secure, and welcoming environment. The mission is to foster a climate that encourages a free, open, and civil exchange of ideas in support of the educational, research, and public service goals of the university. The UOPD recognizes and promotes the value of multiculturalism and inclusiveness consistent with a spirit of responsible citizenship within an international community. The University of Oregon is a diverse and ever changing community. Constant efforts by the UOPD are necessary to partner with and educate the community to deter, reduce, and solve crimes as well as to resolve issues through modern policing.
This position provides a wide range of labor support for the University of Oregon Police Department (UOPD) and its staff. The position will support vehicle maintenance for the Safe Ride Program and the UOPD’s police vehicle fleet. These support functions include fueling department and patrol vehicles, minor maintenance of vehicles and department facilities, delivery of vehicles and supplies to on- and off-campus locations, inventory management, data entry, and acting as a courier for legal documents. Tasks will include moving/transporting supplies and equipment, equipment operations, ordering supplies, event set-ups and labor support for skilled trades’ workers.
This position is expected to work in a wide variety of environmental conditions including outdoors in pacific northwest weather and in industrial environments while experiencing loud noises and vibrations. Work requires lifting and carrying heavy objects and is expected to safely lift up to 50 pounds.
Interactions/contacts occur daily with the Executive Coordinator, supervisors, administrators, students, faculty, and staff. This position may also interact with vendors, the general public and the other campus community members in the course of performing work.
The person in this position works as a member of a team while frequently performing tasks requested. Decisions may be made about the best method and materials necessary to perform a particular task.
Work is reviewed directly by the Executive Coordinator, Office of the Chief, to ensure it is performed efficiently, safely, and meets both expectations and applicable requirements. A performance appraisal is conducted annually.
• Must submit fingerprints to obtain FBI Criminal Justice Information Systems (CJIS) security clearance.
• It is an essential requirement of this position to qualify for and maintain UO driver's certification eligibility, which includes maintaining an Oregon driver’s license throughout employment in this position
• Must be able to successfully pass a comprehensive background assessment that includes a criminal history check, driving record review, drug screening, and an inclusive appraisal of work history.
This unit may provide essential services during times of emergencies and inclement weather. This position may be required to fulfill essential services and functions during these times.
• Six months of experience performing professional vehicle maintenance.
• Six months of experience providing professional delivery or courier services.
• Perform duties in a way that advances and supports the mission of the department and University.
• Excellent communication skills.
• Take initiative, looking for what needs to be done and doing it.
• Pay close attention to detail.
• Maintain a safe and safety-conscious workplace.
• Maintain a respectful workplace and model a positive and proactive attitude.
• Model the highest ethical standards.
• Provide superior customer service
• Criminal Justice Information Systems (CJIS) Certified.
• Experience with logistical and supply vehicle support.
• Experience working with confidential documents.
• Experience working with law enforcement vehicles.
• Experience ordering supplies.
• Experience detailing vehicles.