Organization: MCA Foundation (“MCAF”)
Job Title: Director of Engineering Projects & EHS
Reports To: Senior Management
Organizational Overview and Corporate Structure
MCAmericas Holdings, Inc. (“Holdings”) was formed as a Texas non-profit corporation in order to serve the best interests of Medical Center of the Americas Foundation and its subsidiaries by reorganizing all entities into a new structure in 2013 that would provide: (1) centralized management; (2) placement of distinct charitable functions of MCA in separate tax exempt entities; and (3) assignment of liability to the corresponding operating entity. Holdings is exempt from federal income tax under Sections 501(c)(3) and 509(a)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code (“IRC”) and is the parent holding company and sole member of the following entities (collectively “MCA”):
- Medical Center of the Americas Foundation (“Foundation”), a tax exempt entity under IRC Sections 501(c)(3) and 170(b)(1)(A)(vi) and its wholly owned subsidiary, BMIA, Inc. (dba “RedSky”), an IRC Subchapter C corporation;
- MCAmericas Realty, Inc. (“MCAR”), a tax exempt entity under IRC Section 501(c)(2);
- MCA Tech Park, Inc. (“Tech Park”), a tax exempt entity under IRC Section 501(c)(3);
- MCA Revere Realty, Inc. (“Revere”), a tax exempt entity under IRC Section 501(c)(3).
The MCA’s mission is to catalyze the life sciences ecosystem in the Paso del Norte region. Its vision is to cultivate a dynamic regional biomedical industry and innovation / entrepreneurship ecosystem that competes globally. The MCA also aims to create a world class medical center within the Medical Center of the Americas campus that will foster and accelerate biomedical and healthcare innovation, creating new employment opportunities and meeting health care needs of the region’s current and future citizens. This biomedicine-driven economic growth mission will be accomplished through a series of strategic activities involving both physical infrastructure and programmatic initiatives focused on discovery, development and deployment building blocks to harness and grow regional assets consisting of biomedical and healthcare research, demographics providing for distinctive clinical trials capability, adaptive workforce and logistics and manufacturing capabilities that can accommodate biomedical business environments.
MCA owns approximately 14 acres of land on the MCA campus (13 of which are congruous). Additional parcels of land are being targeted and acquired when feasible.
- 440 Raynolds, El Paso, TX 79905
- Owned by MCAmericas Realty, Inc. a 501(c)2 subsidiary of MCA Holdings, Inc.
- Purchased in 2009
- approximately 7,000 square feet of office space in a single-story building built in the 1960s
- perpetual 6-month NNN lease with TTUHSC El Paso
- MCA responsible for roof and building structure and HVAC
Cardwell Collaborative Building:
- 5130 Gateway Boulevard East, El Paso, Texas 79905
- Owned by MCA Tech Park, Inc. a 501(c)3 subsidiary of MCA Holdings, Inc.
- Opened in June 2016
- 60,000 square feet, 3 stories plus a mechanical penthouse
- 20,000 square feet sub-leased to TTUHSC El Paso
- 3rd floor has wet-labs, dry-labs and an office incubator
- MCA is responsible for Environmental Health & Safety (oversees Lab Safety Committee)
- MCA is responsible for property management for this facility
US Department of Veterans Affairs Wellness Clinic (mental health specialty clinic):
- 350 Revere, El Paso, Texas 79905
- Owned by MCA Revere Realty, Inc. a 501(c)3 subsidiary of MCA Holdings, Inc.
- Under construction and expected to be completed by November 2019
- Approximately 33,500 square foot, single-story building
- 20-year firm term lease with the US Department of Veterans Affairs
- MCA will be responsible for property management for this facility
- Will be owned by MCA Euclid Realty, Inc. a 501(c)3 subsidiary of MCA Holdings, Inc.
- Corner of Euclid & Gateway Blvd East, El Paso, Texas 79905
- Potential 80,000 square feet with structured parking
- Site is approximately 3 acres
- Programming for this building currently underway
The Director of Engineering Projects & EHS will have overall responsibility for managing all existing and future MCA facilities. MCA facilities are often life sciences related, but also may include support facilities, such as parking, parks and ponds. The position reports to the MCA President and the CFO, and is supported by other MCA staff as well as vendors and consultants.
Duties & Responsibilities
This position is responsible for all existing MCA facilities, including the following duties:
ENGINEERING & FACILITY MANAGEMENT
- Manages and supervises all aspects of facilities warranty, operations and maintenance, including building and lab equipment (e.g., mechanical, electrical, plumbing, fume hoods), grounds, housekeeping and security.
- Responsible for the supervision of all staff and vendors related to the daily operation of the properties.
- Identifies and reviews facility and equipment improvement and upgrade needs, including estimating for complete project budgets, and facilities/equipment maintenance.
- Ensure facilities team is monitoring and inspecting the buildings mechanical, structural, electrical, fire, garage, elevator, roof and other related equipment on an on-going basis.
- Provide facilities coordination support in all areas of facility management, including but not limited to: work request origination and management, coordinating moves, facility emergency response and off-hours support.
- Assist with all construction and contracting work to ensure consistency with building codes and tenant leases.
- Enforce all applicable building codes, safety regulations and standards, as well as building rules and regulations.
- Meet project timelines and budgets; keep all project stakeholders well informed.
- Communicates with all divisions and departments (internal and external) in providing information regarding all facility projects from design to construction to maintenance.
LEASING & TENANTS
- Assist with new tenant acquisitions, exiting tenants and tenants who are leaving their space
- propose new spaces for leases, rentable SF, cost PSF, etc.
- ensure tenants comply with their leases and Building Rules & Regulations
- assist tenants with TI requests, installation of new equipment, use of shared equipment, etc.
- review spaces being vacated by tenants for damage
- provide excellent customer service when dealing with clients, tenants and co-workers
VENDOR MANAGEMENT & CONTRACTING
- Participates in selection of consultants and vendors for facility related activities. Prepares scope of work and work orders. Evaluates proposals and participates in final selection and contract review.
- Contact and direct all external contractor services. Ensure conformance to building standards and specifications, including project costs and construction schedules
- Oversee building maintenance contracts ensuring vendor compliance with contracts. Vendors include but are not limited to handy-men, security, housekeeping, pest control, biohazardous / chemical waste disposal, elevator maintenance, landscaping, lab coat cleaning. Delegate limited authority to maintenance staff related to any required recurring repairs, services and maintenance work within budget.
- Manages facilities maintenance staff or vendors in developing procedures following a preventive maintenance program.
PROCUREMENT & BUDGETING
- Review and approve all vendor invoices; compare invoices to operational year-to-date summary; maintain proper payment of invoices.
- Prepares and tracks budget reports and schedules for facility operations annually and all facility projects.
EHS & SAFETY
- Work with outside Lab Safety Consultant, as needed.
- Manage the Lab Safety Committee and ensure that each tenant required to participate in the Lab Safety Committee is participating adequately.
- Ensures compliance with internal QA/QC, health, safety and security programs.
- Ensure full compliance with EHS policies and procedures.
- Responsible for risk assessment activities and reporting for EHS.
- Provide or arrange for Lab Safety trainings, as needed.
- Maintain confidential and company sensitive building information.
- Proactively assist in facility and EH&S inspections and assessments, to identify and correct issues requiring close coordination with EH&S; conduct periodic inspections of wet labs and office areas to ensure proper function and use of the division’s space and facilities.
- Serve as primary point of contact for local emergency response agencies for planning and emergencies.
- Assists with development of contingency, emergency operation, safety, fire prevention, and property maintenance management plans in concert with MCA's requirements and annual budget.
LEASING & CUSTOMER SERVICE
- Understand marketing plan for the building and address inquiries from prospective tenants for information on the property.
- Maintain landlord and property management relationships, participate in lease negotiations for acquisitions, renewals or lease terminations.
- Maintain day to day relationships with tenants, while developing an understanding of their needs by meeting formally or informally on a regular basis. Respond to service requests, inquires and concerns.
- Ensure the space data related to occupants, assignments and current usage are updated and maintained.
LAND ACQUISITION & NEW FACILTIES
- Participate with senior management in the review of land and facilities being considered for purchase.
- Integrate new facilities into the MCA facilities program, including property and vendor management.
- For new developments:
- participate in programming, planning and designing of new facilities
- participate in OAC meetings
- participate in overseeing construction
- integrate new facilities into the MCA facilities program, including property and vendor management
Qualifications & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree required. Degree in Engineering or a technical field preferred
- At least 5 years of progressive facilities management experience, preferably in life science and/or laboratory facilities, including experience in the start-up and commissioning of a life science laboratory or other medical facility; experience in co-working / collaborative / multi-tenant spaces preferred
- At least 5 years project management experience in both design and construction
- Knowledge of facilities engineering technology and construction terminology
- Knowledge of EHS, OSHA regulations and local building codes and requirements
- Ability to read Architectural Floor Plans/CAD drawings/Specifications
- Experience using Building Management Systems (e.g., Siemens), Desigo CC is a plus
- Experience using CMMS (Computerized Maintenance Management Systems)
- Experience managing access control & CCTV systems
- Experience through technical education and hands-on-experience in the following disciplines: HVAC design and engineering, electrical design and engineering, plumbing design and engineering, and other building support systems including but not limited to fire/life safety systems and security
- Working knowledge of procurement policies and procedures
- Demonstrated ability to manage cost control and project scheduling for capital construction projects, including ability to track progress of construction activities
- Knowledge of financial terms and principles relating to facilities management
- Experience forecasting and preparing budgets and reports summarizing operations.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite
Physical Demands and Work Environment
- Physical ability to walk jobsites in uneven terrain
- Provide personal transportation for meetings and job visits away from the office; mileage reimbursed
- Ability to work at heights and from ladders
- Ability to regularly walk, use hands and fingers, handle or feel, reach with hands and arms, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl
- Regularly lift and/or move up to 75 pounds
- Respond to off hour emergency calls
COMMUNICATION SKILLS: strong written and oral communication skills (including presentation skills); can build and maintain relationships; willing to mentor
COMPLEX COMMUNICATION: sequences concepts logically; clarifies complex information; gains understanding of complex material; explains in a manner that makes technical information understandable to non-technical individuals
LEADERSHIP/MANAGING/PROBLEM SOLVING: supports and manages change efforts; innovative approaches in problem solving; ability to make logical decisions using sound judgment; plans direction for work group to tie in with organizational goals; takes responsibility for outcomes; models desired behavior; excellent leadership and managerial skills; desire to train, supervise and lead maintenance staff and contractors; ability to manage and evaluate work carried out by staff and consultants
ORGANIZATON: Organized, task and detail-oriented and able to work in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment with multiple deadlines
CUSTOMER SERVICE: Strong customer service focus and ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with regulatory agencies, vendors, contractors, tenants and employees
STAFF SUPERVISION: timely and thorough planning for tasks and projects; equitable distribution of assignments; utilizes staff strengths; develops staff in weak areas; constructively addresses staff performance problems; plans ahead to prepare and provide performance appraisals to employees on a timely basis
VENDOR PERFORMANCE MANAGEMENT: tracks and provides feedback on vendor performance throughout the year; initiates performance plans and corrective actions at appropriate times
ETHICS AND INTEGRITY: perceived fairness; tolerance; honesty; consistent in application of MCA policies and procedures
DIVERSITY ORIENTATION: can manage and work in a diverse work environment effectively; encourages and supports diversity of employees and contractors (Disadvantaged Business Enterprise); refers EEO/AA concerns in a timely manner
FLEXIBILITY: able to adapt behavior, opinions, tactics, and strategies to different situations, individuals, or changing priorities
UNDERSTANDING MCA CULTURE: identifies decision makers and decision-making processes; works within formal and informal structure of the organization; works with all relationships in the organization
MCA is an equal opportunity employer.