Salary: $15.04 to $18.55 per hour
Campus Planning and Facilities Management (CPFM) is a vibrant department, which comprises five units, and approximately 270 employees: Facilities Services, Utilities & Energy, Campus Planning, Office of Sustainability, and Design & Construction. The units of CPFM strive to provide excellent customer service to the University of Oregon campus and operate with the highest professional standards, communicating and collaborating with customers to support the stewardship of the campus.
Facilities Services (FS) is responsible for the management of human, financial and material resources and the development and implementation of programs, policies and procedures related to the operation, maintenance, repair and minor renovation of university buildings, grounds and infrastructure systems. These services provide the University of Oregon community with a safe, efficient, reliable, functional and aesthetically pleasing learning environment in support of the University’s mission and vision.
This position provides support for all areas of campus covered by the University of Oregon Campus Facilities Services. During the 9-month academic year, the incumbent is responsible for assisting the Equipment Operator 2 to drive and operate the University’s garbage truck. This will include moving dumpsters for emptying, operating the hydraulic dumping controls on the back of the truck, and driving the truck when the primary driver is absent.
Additionally, during the summer (when academic garbage loads are less), this position may be responsible for a wide range of maintenance and repair activities in the areas of plumbing, carpentry, painting and mechanical systems as well as general support for Facilities Structures and Support, Electrical Shop, HVAC and Plumbing Shop.
This is the first level of a two-level series. It is distinguished from the higher level by the use of equipment that is predominantly of lesser weight and horsepower, and by the smaller diversity of equipment operated.
Interactions/contacts occur daily with the campus community in the course of performing work and responding to emergencies. This position is a representative and frequently the face of Facilities Services. Exceptional customer service is required at all times. It is essential that tasks be completed in a timely and accurate manner while exercising good judgment in requesting assistance when appropriate.
Work is reviewed directly by the Associate Director of Environmental Services to ensure it is performed efficiently, safely, and meets both expectations and applicable requirements. A performance appraisal is conducted annually.
This position will require a valid Class B commercial driver’s license and the ability to obtain UO Driver’s Certification.
This position requires the ability to periodically collect garbage from UO Housing Facilities on weekends.
This unit may provide essential services during times of emergencies and inclement weather. This position may be required to fulfill essential services and functions during these times.
• One year of experience operating passenger buses or various construction and/or maintenance machinery such as light tractors, riding mowers, loaders, or dump trucks; AND
• The ability to secure an Oregon driver license valid for the classes of vehicles used by the employing agency before the date of employment (Class B commercial driver license).
• Perform duties in a way that advances and supports the mission of the department and University.
• Work effectively in a diverse team environment and create effective relationships for problem-solving and positive interactions.
• Take initiative, looking for what needs to be done and doing it.
• Pay close attention to detail.
• Maintain a safe and safety-conscious workplace.
• Maintain a respectful workplace and model a positive and proactive attitude.
• Model the highest ethical standards.
• Provide superior customer service.
• Experience with basic Preventive Maintenance in Commercial Buildings.
TO APPLY: Visit our website, create an account and submit a complete application.