Job no: 525694
Work type: Officer of Administration
Location: Eugene, OR
Categories: Child Development, Executive/Management/Director
Department: Campus Services - Vivian Olum Child Development Center
Appointment Type and Duration: Interim (OA), Limited
Salary: $41,814.00 - $66,902.04
Compensation Band: OS-OA05-Fiscal Year 2020-2021
Application Review Begins
Position Closes October 14, 2020
Special Instructions to Applicants
TO APPLY: Please submit an online application at https://careers.uoregon.edu/en-us/job/525694/interim-assistant-director-...
The following documents are required and must be uploaded with your online application:
Cover letter that addresses how you meet the minimum and preferred qualifications and provides an explanation regarding your philosophy around childcare development.
The Vivian Olum Child Development Center is a comprehensive program providing education and care for infants through elementary school-age children. The center’s mission is to serve the needs of university employees’ families by providing a foundation of experiences that foster growth and development of children and a safe and nurturing environment for children and families. The center consists of seven classrooms which collectively serve over 100 children each day.
The Vivian Olum Child Development Center is a unit within Campus Services in the Finance and Administration portfolio. Finance and Administration is a vibrant and varied portfolio serving all aspects of campus life. Our employees perform a wide range of functions including offering essential financial tools and support to the university’s many departments, providing key resources to employees, and keeping campus safe, clean, accessible and beautiful.
The Interim Assistant Director for the Lower School at the Vivian Olum Child Development Center serves as a member of the administrative team responsible for managing the center’s programs and operations. This position is responsible for managing the Lower School (four classrooms serving age 0 through 3), which includes hiring, onboarding, supervision and performance evaluation of the classified teaching staff. This also includes managing the school teachers’ requests for student staff by recruiting, selecting, onboarding, training, supervising and evaluating student staff center wide.
Interactions with a variety of individuals will occur regularly during the course of performing work to maintain effective relationships with Vivian Olum parents and families. This position works as a member of a team while frequently performing tasks independently. Decisions may be made about the best methods and materials necessary for the Lower School. They may also include setting priorities, assessing Lower School needs and responding to those needs.
The position reports to the Vivian Olum Child Development Center Director and a performance evaluation is conducted annually. This position may be subject to a criminal records check and possible finger printing. The two assistant directors’ default schedules must ensure coverage during the center’s operating hours. The two rotating shifts are 7:30 am - 4:30 pm and 9:00 am - 6:00 pm. This position also serves as the Substitute Director in the absence of the Director.
• Associate degree in Early Childhood Education or related field.
• Five years of professional experience in a certified early childhood education setting which includes both classroom teaching and supervising teachers.
• Director qualified according to Oregon Child Care Division.
• Hold a valid Oregon driver's license, have a good driving record and be able to drive a 14 passenger bus.
• Demonstration of knowledge of applicable state child care regulations, or similar regulatory standards.
• Strong oral and written communication skills.
• Demonstrated ability to build strong relationships with staff and families.
• Excellent decision-making skills.
• Demonstrated ability to work effectively with a diverse constituency.
• Bachelor or Master’s degree in Early Childhood Education or related field.
• Seven years of professional experience in a certified early childhood education setting which includes both classroom teaching and supervising teachers.
• Experience providing program oversight and/or program decision making authority.
• Supervision experience that includes supervising staff working with children in a full day child care program.
• Experience working in a higher education setting.