Job no: 525711
Work type: Classified Staff
Location: Eugene, OR
Department: Campus Planning & Facilities Management - Facilities Services
Classification: Custodial Services Coordinator
Appointment Type and Duration: Regular, Ongoing
Salary: $15.81 - $23.49 per hour
Review of Applications Begins
Position Closes October 18, 2020
Special Instructions to Applicants
TO APPLY: Please submit an online application as detailed below to https://careers.uoregon.edu/en-us/job/525711/custodial-services-coordinator
To be considered for this position, applicants must submit a complete application. Complete applications must include an online application, resume, and answers to the following supplemental questions:
1) Please describe your experience in a position that had some form of oversight over other employees that included assigning work and evaluating work performance. Please include the type of oversight you had and the amount of time.
2) The Custodial Services Department is a very diverse work group. Please describe how you will respectfully coordinate a diverse team.
3) Please describe your approach to customer service as a Custodian and explain how your approach will change in the role as a Custodial Services Coordinator.
4) Please describe your experience cleaning carpet and floor in a commercial workplace, including your use of commercial level equipment and commercial cleaning chemicals.
Campus Planning & Facilities Maintenance (CPFM) supports a quality university experience through the operations, maintenance and cleaning of campus buildings, building systems, utilities, equipment, and grounds. Our customers are the students, faculty, and staff of the university, campus visitors, and the employees of CPFM. We guide the development of the campus through the creation of buildings, open spaces, and plans that protect and continue the legacy we have inherited.
Facilities Services is one of five units within Campus Planning & Facilities Maintenance (CPFM). Facilities Services supports a quality university experience through the operations, maintenance and cleaning of campus buildings, building systems, utilities, equipment, and grounds.
Custodial Services maintains a safe, sanitary, and aesthetically pleasing environment in order to enhance the learning experience.
The purpose of this position is to coordinate the work of other custodial staff, ensuring that buildings are properly cleaned and maintained. In addition, the Custodial Services Coordinator may perform general cleaning and floor care, and inspect the work of custodial staff.
Work is reviewed by the Custodial Supervisor. Custodial Services Coordinators receive general supervision from a custodial supervisor or custodial services manager and their work is reviewed regularly to ensure it is performed efficiently, safely, and meets both expectations and applicable requirements. A performance appraisal is conducted annually. This position requires adherence to applicable federal, state, university and department laws, rules, policies, procedures, guidelines, and the SEIU contract.
Under the guidance of the Custodial Supervisor, the incumbent makes decisions on work priorities, work assignments, scheduling, necessary materials and equipment, the means of accomplishing duties, and personal and public safety. These decisions affect work productivity and protection of the aesthetic quality and monetary investment of the campus buildings.
Duties include reviewing staff work assignments to see that building is cleaned and properly maintained, assuring staffing needs are met, training new employees and assigning work, maintaining inventory, performing general cleaning, making repairs and providing set up for special functions. In addition to custodial staff, Custodial Services Coordinators will be in contact with trades workers, students, and campus visitors.
This position works a non-standard shift that may vary from others on the crew performing tasks in multiple buildings across campus. Temperatures, noise level, and air quality will vary. The duties of the position require:
• The ability to work at a standard computer workstation;
• Traveling between buildings on campus using campus vehicles to deliver equipment and cleaning supplies.
• Occasionally working in inclement weather conditions;
• The ability to stand, walk, lift, bend, push, pull, reach, squat, stoop, twist and perform repetitive movements, all for prolonged periods of time; and
• Working with germicidal, sanitizing, and other cleaning products.
This unit provides essential services during times of emergencies and inclement weather. This position may be required to fulfill essential services and functions during these times.
This position may be required to serve in an on-call capacity on a rotational basis. This may include responding to emergencies during off hours, including weekends and holidays. On site, response to campus is expected within 45 minutes from the time of the call, if needed. Communication is via a cellular phone.
This position will require a valid driver’s license and the ability to obtain UO Driver’s Certification.
• Two years of experience in custodial services work.
• Perform duties in a way that advances and supports the mission of the department and university and promotes high employee morale.
• Maintain a safe and safety-conscious workplace.
• Maintain a respectful workplace and model a positive and proactive attitude.
• Model the highest ethical standards.
• Work effectively in a diverse team environment and create effective relationships for problem-solving and positive interactions.
• Provide superior customer service.
• Be receptive to feedback, willing to learn and embracing continuous improvement.
• Communicate effectively, orally and in writing.
• Experience in a position that included supervision as well as assigning and evaluating work performance.
• Experience with word processing and the ability to generate documents.
• Experience generating and managing email communication.