Job no: 525948
Work type: Officer of Administration
Location: Eugene, OR
Categories: Accounting/Finance, Executive/Management/Director
Department: Campus Services - Finance and Administration Shared Services
Appointment Type and Duration: Regular, Ongoing
Salary: $100,000 - $109,500 Annual
Compensation Band: OS-OA10-Fiscal Year 2020-2021
Application Review Begins
January 11, 2021
Special Instructions to Applicants
To be considered for this position, please submit a complete online application at https://careers.uoregon.edu/en-us/job/525948/director-fass-business-oper...
Include with your application:
- A professional resume and cover letter addressing how your skills and experience meet the position qualifications; AND
- An answer to the following supplemental question;
1) Please provide a short (one-page maximum) synopsis of your management philosophy and approach to being a successful leader, with an emphasis on managing limited staff resources between routine staff work and special projects. Including specific examples from your previous professional experiences may be helpful.
Finance and Administration Shared Services (FASS) provides service specific to four business functions-
- budget and finance, accounting and purchasing, human resources, and information technology—to several departments within the Finance and Administration portfolio. Finance and Administration is a vibrant and varied portfolio serving all aspects of campus life. Our employees perform a wide range of functions including offering essential financial tools and support to the university’s many departments, providing key resources to employees, and keeping campus safe, clean, accessible and beautiful.
FASS-supported units include:
• Campus Planning and Facilities Management: Campus Planning, Design and Construction, Facilities Services, Utilities and Energy, and the Office of Sustainability
• Safety and Risk Services: UO Police Department, Emergency Management and Fire Prevention, Risk Management and Environmental Health and Safety, and Campus GIS
• Campus Services: Transportation Services, Printing Services, and FASS
Altogether, the units supported by FASS consist of more than 500 employees and a have budgets totaling more than $60 million.
The mission of the Shared Services Business Operations group is to provide accurate and timely business support services, enhancing our clients’ strategic priorities. This client-focused partnership consists of prudent guidance and management of fiscal resources. The Business operations team provides reliable, consistent and accurate information and transaction processing to all Finance and Administration Shared Services supported units. The department vision is to develop a service organization that competes with the best in conveying expertise, efficiency, and service quality while creating a conduit for centralized policies and procedures to be quickly and appropriately disseminated to various departments.
The Director, Finance and Administration Shared Services Business Operations manages the day-to-day operations of the business operations arm of FASS. This position oversees 4 distinct units; Budget/Finance, Accounting, Procurement and the Campus Logistics, mail and stores team. The Director also manages an additional mail services auxiliary unit as a self sustaining program. The Director will regularly perform complex financial, budgetary and accounting analysis and provide consultation and recommendations to a variety of supported University executives and unit heads in regards to funding and business decisions for their departments. The Director prepares, recommends and implements appropriate business practices and procedures to create an effective and efficient support unit that works collaboratively with both central and departmental stakeholders. This includes providing guidance and tactical planning support to subordinate supervisors and employees to appropriately enact strategies lined out by the Executive Director of Finance and Administration Shared Services and the University. This position is responsible for handling any escalated operational concerns and developing solutions to mediate the situation.
The Director may serve as acting unit head in the Executive Directors absence.
This position has decision-making authority over transactional execution of functions performed by FASS in support of Federal, State and University Policies and standards. This position makes recommendations on budget expenditures to University executives and executes approved plans for both FASS and its supported clients.
This position has direct budget authority of $2.0-$2.5M
This position will supervise multiple different employee groups and is responsible for understanding policies as related to those groups. Position is responsible for handling escalating employee conflicts, discipline, employee development, performance management, and resourcing staffing needs.
Interactions with a variety of individuals will occur regularly. These may include working with department heads and executive leadership to help drive strategic initiatives and align FASS Team strategies to meet those needs.
This position reports to the Director of Finance and Administration Shared Services, and a performance evaluation is conducted annually.
This unit may provide essential services during times of emergencies and inclement weather. This position may be required to fulfill essential services and functions during these times.
• Bachelor’s degree.
• Five years of experience in business operations, financial management, accounting and/or budgetary management; at least two of which must be at the management level.
• Four years experience supervising staff or serving in a lead work capacity.
• Perform duties in a way that advances and supports the mission of the department and university.
• Work effectively in a diverse team environment and create effective relationships for problem solving and positive interactions.
• Take initiative, looking for what needs to be done and doing it.
• Pay close attention to detail.
• Maintain a safe and safety-conscious workplace.
• Maintain a respectful workplace and model a positive and proactive attitude.
• Model the highest ethical standards.
• Provide superior customer service.
• Bachelor’s degree in business, finance, or public administration.
• MPA, MBA, JD or other graduate degree in a related field.
• Experience in a state facility, college or university, or other multi-facility complex
FLSA Exempt: Yes