Job ID: req979
Facility: Frederick: ATRF
Location: 8560 Progress Dr, Frederick, MD 21701 USA
The Frederick National Laboratory is dedicated to improving human health through discovery and innovation in the biomedical sciences, focusing on cancer, AIDS, and emerging infectious diseases.
The Facilities Maintenance and Engineering (FME) Directorate is responsible for laboratory space, administrative space, infrastructure, campus landscape, planning, and design, and construction management at Frederick National Laboratory for Cancer Research.
The HVAC mechanic is responsible for:
- Troubleshooting operating, maintaining and repairing heating ventilations, air conditioning and refrigeration
- Maintaining all aspects of temperature/humidity control systems and auxiliary equipment, and disassembling units and restore to operating conditions
- Performing related work on all auxiliary HVAC/Refrigeration systems and components, inspecting equipment, buildings, utility systems, or other facilities needing heating and cooling work, including performing weekly, monthly and annual preventive maintenance
- Maintaining logs and records of equipment operations, and understanding and operating computer-based building automation systems (BAS)
- Occasionally working beyond normal duty hours, including weekends and holidays.
- Contributes to the overall success of Operation and Maintenance Department by performing other essential duties and responsibilities as assigned
- This position is subject to 24-hour call in (rotating schedule) for emergency repairs
- Possession of a high school diploma or equivalent
- In addition to the education requirements, a minimum of five (5) years of progressively responsible experience
- Universal Certification by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Knowledge of the principles and theories of air conditioning and refrigeration’s such as the refrigeration cycle, heat transfer laws, the use of refrigerant tables
- Ability to perform physical duties including frequently lifting and carrying up to 50 lbs.
- Duties require full range of motion, and include walking, prolonged standing, climbing stairs, bending, stooping, and working in confined areas, potential exposure to particulates, vapors or noisy environment
- Work is performed indoors and out-of-doors, occasionally in environments that are dusty, noisy, or which could have work hazards.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a security clearance
- Ability to calculate airflow and pressure-temperature characteristics
- Knowledge in the installation, operation, maintenance and repair of heating, ventilation, air conditioning and refrigeration systems
- Ability to read and interpret, instructions, blueprints, and work orders
- Experience in installation, maintenance and the repair of air-conditioning chillers, air handling, chilled water distribution, and control systems of an equivalent combination of training and experience
- Strong Building Automation System (BAS) background
- This position is subject to atmospheric conditions that would require the usage of a
respirator, requiring a medical clearance
- This position is subject to working in or have the potential to exposure to high noise levels
for extended periods of time requiring medical clearance
- This position is subject to the environmental conditions such as working outdoors, high
humidity areas indoors, dampness and chilling, dry atmospheric conditions, etc. as part of the job
Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) | Minority/Female/Disabled/Veteran (M/F/D/V) | Drug Free Workplace (DFW)