Job no: 525603
Work type: Classified Staff
Location: Eugene, OR
Categories: Child Development, Education
Department: Campus Services - Vivian Olum Child Development Center
Classification: Early Childhood Asso Teacher
Appointment Type and Duration: Regular, Ongoing
Salary: $15.81 - $23.49 per hour
3 positions available
Review of Applications Begins
Position closes September 6, 2020
TO APPLY: Create a profile and submit an online application at https://careers.uoregon.edu/en-us/job/525603/early-childhood-associate-teacher
Special Instructions to Applicants
The following documents are required and must be uploaded with your online application:
• Resume; AND
• Degree Certificate, transcript, ORO Step 8, or proof of years of experience. If qualifying for this position based on work experience, experience must be with infant/toddler through school-age children. If qualifying based on college course work, submit a transcript or list the applicable courses and credit hours. Courses must be from an accredited college or university; AND
• Answers to the following Supplemental Questions.
To assist us in making the selection of this position, please respond thoroughly to the following questions. Number your responses to correspond to the questions and describe experience and training related to each item. Make sure experience and training described in your responses are included on your application.
1. We are seeking a teacher experienced with group care. We have openings in several age groups from 8 weeks to 5 years old. List the age within this range you are most familiar working with, 3 challenges unique to that age group, and explain how you approach these challenges.
2. Give an example of a time when you have used your skills and resources to respond to a parent concern about a typical issue of child development at a specific age.
3. Explain your understanding of diversity and give some examples of how this applies to young children and their families. What activities would you bring to highlight how each child makes the classroom more diverse?
4. Describe experience that has prepared you to co teach. What systems have you used to negotiate that work is fairly divided among coworkers in a busy classroom?
For a complete list of job duties, please email email@example.com
The Vivian Olum Child Development Center offers a comprehensive program providing education and care for infants through elementary school-aged children. The center's mission is to serve the needs of university employees’ families by providing a foundation of experiences that foster growth and development of children and a safe and nurturing environment for children and families. The center consists of seven classrooms which collectively serve over 100 children each day. The center curriculum is both emergent and constructivist, and is highly individualized, especially for our youngest children.
The Vivian Olum Child Development Center is a unit within Campus Services in the Finance and Administration portfolio. Finance and Administration is a vibrant and varied portfolio serving all aspects of campus life. Our employees perform a wide range of functions including offering essential financial tools and support to the university’s many departments, providing key resources to employees, and keeping campus safe, clean, accessible and beautiful.
This position is responsible for planning and implementing an educational, developmental, full day childcare program for a classroom group, as assigned. The employee will plan the classroom curriculum, interact with the children and parents, provide daily on-site oversight of classroom support staff and student staff, and maintain the safety and continuity of the program.
Interactions with a variety of individuals will occur regularly during the course of performing work with Vivian Olum students, parents, and families. This position works as a member of a team while frequently performing tasks independently. Decisions may be made about the best methods and materials necessary in their classroom. The position reports to the Vivian Olum Child Development Center Assistant Director and a performance evaluation is conducted annually. This position may be subject to a criminal records check and possible finger printing.
Selected candidate must have current First Aid, Infant/child CPR, food handler's card, and clearance with the Child Care Division's Background Registry prior to the start of work.
This job takes place in a facility constructed as a child-care center. This job requires bending, lifting up to 50 lbs, and sitting on the floor on a daily basis. The position duties include walks outside the building. There is frequent exposure to cleaning solutions such as disinfectant hand soap and sanitizing agents. The work environment may frequently include high noise and activity levels. There is frequent exposure to childhood illnesses.
The center is open 7:30 am to 6:00 pm Monday - Friday. Scheduled hours will fall within this time frame.
• An Associate's degree in Early Childhood Education or Child Development from a recognized program; OR
• a Child Development Associate (CDA) credential; OR
• a minimum of twenty semester hours (thirty quarter hours) of college courses in Early Childhood Education or Child Development; AND one year of experience in a certified day care center or comparable group care program; OR
• two years of experience, including at least one year as a teacher, in a certified day care center or comparable group child care program.
If you are qualifying for this position based on work experience, your experience must be with children in the age group of the assigned classroom. If you are qualifying based on your college course work, please submit a transcript or list the applicable courses and credit hours. Courses must be from an accredited college or university.
• Ability to communicate effectively with children, parents, and staff from diverse backgrounds and cultures.
• Demonstration of knowledge of applicable state child care regulations, or similar regulatory standards.
• Strong oral and written communication skills.
• Demonstrated ability to build strong relationships with staff and families.
• Excellent decision-making skills.
• Demonstrated ability to work effectively with a diverse constituency.
• Associates or Bachelor's degree in early childhood or related field.
• Two or more years of classroom experience in a certified child care center.
• Experience working as a teacher in a campus child care center.
FLSA Exempt: No