Job no: 527525
Work type: Classified Staff
Location: Eugene, OR
Categories: Facilities/Grounds/Skilled Trades
Department: Campus Planning & Facilities Management - Facilities Services
Classification: Grounds Maintenance Worker 2
Appointment Type and Duration: Regular, Ongoing
Salary: $16.49 - $24.61 per hour
Review of Applications Begins
Posting closes June 24th, 2021
Special Instructions to Applicants
To be considered for this position, applicants must submit a complete application, including an online application and answers to the following supplemental questions:
1. What is your detailed experience with plant care in an institutional garden, commercial, or campus setting? Include transplanting, pruning, health diagnosis, etc. Please also provide a few examples of the most common species you have worked with.
2. What is your detailed experience troubleshooting and maintaining underground automated irrigation systems?
3. What is your experience with landscape tools and equipment? Include specific examples and level of expertise.
Campus Planning and Facilities Management (CPFM) is a vibrant department, which comprises five units, and approximately 270 employees: Facilities Services, Utilities & Energy, Campus Planning, Office of Sustainability, and Design & Construction. The units of CPFM strive to provide excellent customer service to the University of Oregon campus and operate with the highest professional standards, communicating and collaborating with customers to support the stewardship of the campus.
Facilities Services (FS) is responsible for the management of human, financial and material resources, the development and implementation of programs, policies and procedures related to the operation, maintenance, repair and minor renovation of university buildings, grounds and infrastructure systems. These services provide the University of Oregon community with a safe, efficient, reliable, functional and aesthetically pleasing learning environment in support of the University’s mission and vision.
The Exterior Landscape crew provides a quality environment for students, staff, and community through the exterior maintenance, landscaping, tree care, seasonal/inclement weather response, pest removal, and trash removal.
The University of Oregon CPFM is a diverse, inclusive, and equal opportunity employer. Our community standards promote a culture of respect that honors the rights, safety, dignity, and worth of every individual. Our employment practices reflect this standard to promote a culture that respects the dignity and essential worth of all individuals throughout the University community.
Responsibilities of the Grounds Maintenance Worker 2 position include primary maintenance responsibility for a designated section of campus grounds. Duties will include: performing regular inspections, maintaining plants, planting beds, and irrigation systems, controlling weeds and litter as needed, clearing leaves from campus in the fall in conjunction with the Landscape Team, routine mowing, fertilizing and care of campus turf areas using industry BMPs, edging, aeration, pest control, and repair of turf, as needed. This position will assist the Landscape Designer in constructing campus improvement projects, assist the Arborist in ground safety and clearing debris from tree maintenance projects, assist with exterior power washing or light exterior construction projects and work with other groundskeepers to complete larger tasks. In the event of an emergency, this position will respond to conditions such as snow, ice, rain, and windstorms according to the inclement weather plan. The person in the position will attend crew meetings, work planning, and training sessions.
This position interacts daily with the campus community in the course of performing work and responding to emergencies. This position does not have any budget authority. Work is reviewed regularly by the Landscape Maintenance Supervisor to ensure it is performed efficiently, safely, and meets both expectations and applicable requirements. A performance appraisal is conducted annually.
The person in this position works as a member of a team while frequently performing tasks independently. Decisions may be made about the best method and materials necessary to perform a particular task. They may also include setting priorities, assessing customer needs and responding to those needs.
This position will require a valid driver’s license and the ability to obtain UO Driver’s Certification.
Monday-Friday, 6:00am-2:30pm, with flexible scheduling a possibility.
This position is one of those required positions necessitating that the employee make every reasonable effort to arrive at campus at their regularly scheduled times unless otherwise notified by their supervisor or manager. Essential personnel must provide reliable and current contact information.
• Pesticide applicator's license may be required based on position duties;
• Two years experience as a grounds keeper which included plant care; OR
• An Associate's degree in Landscape Technology or Horticulture; OR
• Completion of a Landscape Certification program or license in a horticultural specialty.
• Perform duties in a way that advances and supports the mission of the department and university.
• Work effectively in a diverse team environment and create effective relationships for problem-solving and positive interactions.
• Take initiative, looking for what needs to be done and doing it.
• Pay close attention to detail.
• Maintain a safe and safety-conscious workplace.
• Maintain a respectful workplace and model a positive and proactive attitude.
• Model the highest ethical standards.
• Provide superior customer service.
• Experience in turf/grass management.
• Experience in arboriculture.
• Experience in irrigation installation, repair or programming.
FLSA Exempt: No