University of Georgia
Associate Vice President for Facilities Management Division
The University of Georgia, a land-grant/sea-grant university, is the state’s oldest, most comprehensive, and most diversified institution of higher education. UGA was founded in 1785 as the first state-chartered university in the country. More than 235 years later, the University of Georgia remains a national leader in higher education. The University is located in Athens, GA, approximately 75 miles northeast of Atlanta, and is consistently ranked among the top 20 public universities in the country.
UGA employs approximately 2,700 full-time faculty/academics and more than 8,000 other full-time staff. The University’s enrollment exceeds 39,000 students, including approximately 30,000 undergraduates and over 9,000 graduate and professional students. Academic programs reside in 18 schools and colleges, as well as a medical partnership with Augusta University housed on the UGA Health Sciences Campus in Athens and the Griffin and Tifton campuses. Additional information about the University of Georgia is available at www.uga.edu.
The University of Georgia (UGA) invites applications and nominations for the position of Associate Vice President for Facilities Management Division (FMD). This position reports directly to the Vice President for Finance & Administration and serves as the Senior Facilities Engineer for UGA while working collaboratively with the University Architect to collectively fulfill the duties of Chief Facilities Officer. The Associate Vice President for FMD is responsible for directing and leading the Facilities Management Division team, which is broadly responsible for managing approximately 12 million gross square feet of facilities and approximately 823 acres on UGA’s main campuses in Athens, GA. FMD also provides facility support and leads major repair and renovation work for a broad range of other units across the state. The division comprises a workforce of approximately 850 employees, one of the largest divisions within Finance & Administration.
The University seeks candidates who have a strong commitment to excellence and high-quality customer service. The University wants to engage professionals who are innovative and accomplished leaders in their field, forward-thinking with a demonstrated commitment to enhancing diversity in all forms, and dedicated to furthering an accessible and inclusive campus environment.
Located in Athens, GA
Finance & Administration
Finance & Administration (F&A) exists to provide exceptional service and stewardship of the University of Georgia’s financial, human, and physical resources. Over 3,000 individuals comprise F&A’s mission-driven team, focused on building and sustaining partnerships to help the University fulfill its teaching, research, service, and student life missions. As a key provider of essential fiscal and operational support to the University, F&A’s multiple units and dedicated professionals strive to be a trusted resource for answers, advice, and assistance. Focusing on exceptional service and stewardship, F&A contributes to the ultimate success and achievements of students, faculty, staff, and the entire University community.
Facilities Management Division
The Facilities Management Division team members manage, operate, and maintain campus landscapes, buildings, and infrastructure to promote the long-term sustainability of the University of Georgia. The FMD unit consists of licensed professionals, managers, and tradespeople, including engineers, electricians, plumbers, building services professionals, carpenters, painters, heavy equipment operators, landscape architects, and groundskeeping staff. FMD establishes priorities and long-term plans that protect the campus’ financial investment in its physical infrastructure and facilities that provide a physical environment conducive to teaching, outreach, student support, and research. This support is provided through operational change as well as the development and streamlining of the processes, systems, policies, planning guidelines, and procedures for UGA’s annual capital budget and renewal programs that reflect the campus’ long-term needs. FMD works closely with the Office of Research, Office of University Architects for Facilities Planning, Environmental Safety Division and other facilities-intensive units and colleges (Office of Instruction, University Housing, Office of Research, Student Affairs, Athletics, Public Service & Outreach, Space Planning & Management, College of Veterinary Medicine, College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences, etc.).
FMD maintains and enhances the learning environment through quality service and stewardship of UGA’s natural and physical resources. The Division is a respectful and welcoming workplace that provides seamless service built on integrity, teamwork, and excellence.
FMD’s Why Statement
“As the heartbeat of the university, we champion its mission and sustain its resources to serve the state of Georgia and beyond. We create inviting and safe environments that allow students, faculty, staff, and visitors to learn, grow, innovate, and thrive. We are Focused, Motivated, Dependable. We are FMD.”
- A Bachelor’s degree in an appropriate academic discipline.
- Licensed and registered Professional Engineer.
- At least ten years of progressive experience in facilities management administration.
- A record of fostering an inclusive culture, promoting equity, and advancing diversity.
- A history of responsible management and leadership experience.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work collaboratively and effectively with all members of the University community.
- Master’s degree in an appropriate academic discipline.
- Relevant certifications, such as CEFP (APPA), CFM or FMP (IFMA), CEM or CEA (AEE), etc.
- Ten years of progressive experience in facilities management administration in a higher education environment.
- Work strategically and foster a collaborative and service-oriented culture.
- Ability to set strategic goals and meet deadlines.
- Strong, interpersonal, organizational, team building, and leadership skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Identify, assess, and champion opportunities for data-driven decision making, use of technology, process automation, and innovation.
- Foster and enhance relationships, coordination, and partnership between the Facilities Management Division, all other University of Georgia units, the University System of Georgia, and other institutions.
- Assist UGA’s executive leadership in the planning, development and implementation of effective facilities management policies that support UGA’s strategic priorities.
- Work collaboratively with deans, senior faculty, and administrators to promote effective communications and to understand and support the facility needs of the University’s academic, research, public outreach, and student life programs.
- Engage the campus community to assess and improve services and reporting across all units. Develop, monitor, and recommend process improvements that align with the University’s strategic vision.
- Work collaboratively with partners across the University, including but not limited to, the Office of Research, Office of Instruction, University Architects, Environmental Safety Division, University Housing, Student Affairs, Finance Division, Athletics, Space Planning & Management, Procurement, College of Veterinary Medicine, College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences, etc.
- Provide leadership as UGA continues to implement innovative strategies to recruit and retain a diverse workforce in an ever-increasing competitive market for talent.
- Build competencies within Facilities Management Division units by leading, coaching, developing, evaluating, and mentoring team members while promoting professional development and ensuring strong staff engagement and retention.
- Provide overarching leadership to all areas of Facilities Management Division
- Operations & Infrastructure
- Maintenance Project Management
- Maintenance Engineering
- Energy Services
- Operations & Maintenance
- Support Services
- Building Services
- Work Request Center
- Supplies & Materials
- Automotive Center
- Human Resources
- Business Management
- Material Requisitions
- Information Technology
- University of Georgia – www.uga.edu
- UGA Facilities Management Division – www.fmd.uga.edu
- UGA Finance and Administration – www.fanda.uga.edu
Procedure for Candidacy
Applications should be submitted no later than August 31, 2021.
Candidates should provide, as three separate documents, a cover letter detailing how the applicant’s credentials and experience meet the responsibilities and qualifications stated above; a current resume; and a statement describing the applicant’s commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion. Applications should be submitted through Helbling & Associates. Nominations and inquiries can be directed to UGA's consultants:
About the Search
University of Georgia is conducting a national search with the assistance of Helbling & Associates (www.helblingsearch.com), an executive search firm specializing in areas of facilities management, construction, engineering, and real estate development.
Please Submit Applications or Nominations to
Helbling & Associates, Inc.
Wes R. Miller, Managing Director
O: (724) 935-7500 x120
C: (412) 841-5180
Please visit Helbling & Associates’ Candidates Page for more information.
The University of Georgia is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, genetic information, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation or protected veteran status. As such, the University of Georgia is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the academic community. We not only strongly encourage women, minorities and other diverse candidates to consider applying for this position, but we also maintain that all candidates should share our commitment to diversity and inclusion. Persons needing accommodations or assistance with the accessibility of materials related to this search are encouraged to contact Central HR (HRWeb@uga.edu). Please do not contact the department or search committee with such requests.