Equal Opportunity Employer –minority/females/veterans/disability/sexual orientation/gender identity.
Associate Director, Cellular Agriculture - Biomedical Engineering, School of Engineering - 21001744
This is a limited term position for 2 years with the possibility of renewal. This is a grant funded position and is not eligible for severance pay.
The Cellular Agriculture research initiative at Tufts University is seeking a versatile, highly-motivated, experienced individual to assist the Director in center start-up and development, and management of on-going operations.
The Associate Director of Cellular Agriculture will work closely with the Director and associated faculty, staff, and across Tufts University and collaborating institutions to manage the complexity of its operations, ensure successful implementation of research goals, and implement its growth in scope and activities. The Associate Director will report directly to the Director and will have responsibility for aspects of scientific and technology development operations, facilities, IT and knowledge infrastructure, communications, intellectual property, and business development efforts. He or she will initially manage two direct reports, growing as needed to implement and manage all activities of this new multi-disciplinary research and development center. The Associate Director will be expected to have a solid understanding of the scientific principles driving the cellular agriculture research mission, in order to provide strategic planning and management assistance to the group. He or she will be one of the public faces of the research group, occasionally speaking to press and science writers. He or she will help develop and manage the research group's operational policies and procedures to ensure the successful implementation of the specific aims of the group's Scientific Plan. This includes oversight of research operations toward milestones, and of effective collaborations among multiple constituents, including but not limited to: external research faculty, Tufts administration, commercial vendors, as well as industry, philanthropic institutions, and the public.
- Advanced Degree and 5-8 years' experience in science or engineering; strong background in Tissue Engineering, Biology, Bioengineering and/or Materials Science and Engineering . Expertise in related fields (computer and information science, mathematics, regenerative medicine, bioprocess engineering,) is a plus, as is a significant publication record.
- Management experience, especially in the start up of a new results-focused, research and development organization (academic or industry) strongly preferred. Experience in management of staff required.
- Strong computer and information science skills (including presentation tools, knowledge management, and collaboration technology). Comfort with computer use sufficient to evaluate new software performance against milestone specs is a plus.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills are essential, with an emphasis on synthesizing work products from multiple teams and facilitating interaction and accountability; excellent listening and collaboration skills are important especially in linking scientific vision to resource allocation and administrative operations.
- Demonstrated skills that derive from the experience of having implemented a vision for the strategic direction of an organization worldwide, engaged and won the support of various stakeholders and constituencies, energized and integrated multidisciplinary groups with multiple priorities.
- PhD degree ideally in bioengineering, biomedical engineering, chemical engineering or materials science; demonstrated significant experience managing an academic research center or consortium, or industry research group focused on basic discoveries.
- A degree in business administration would be a plus.
An employee in this position must complete all appropriate background checks at the time of hire, promotion, or transfer.
Equal Opportunity Employer - minority/females/veterans/disability/sexual orientation/gender identity.
Primary Location: United States-Massachusetts-Medford/Somerville
Job: Academic Programs
Organization: Biomedical Engineering
Employee Status: Limited Appointment
Job Posting: Aug 27, 2021, 12:27:42 PM