Job no: 528953
Work type: Classified Staff
Location: Eugene, OR
Categories: Information Technology, Operations/Infrastructure, Computer and Information Science
Department: Information Services
Classification: Analyst Programmer 2
Appointment Type and Duration: Regular, Ongoing
Salary: $26.79 - $49.71 per hour
Review of Applications Begins: Application review begins March 17, 2022; position open until filled
Special Instructions to Applicants: To be considered for this position, applicants must submit a complete application including an online application, a cover letter, and resume that address how you meet the minimum and preferred qualifications. *Note this position is remote, hybrid, or on-site eligible. https://careers.uoregon.edu/en-us/job/528953/database-and-application-administrator
Information Services (IS) is the central information technology unit at the University of Oregon and provides wide-ranging services to campus. Information Services consists of four major functional areas: Customer Experience, which serves as the key contact point for interactions with campus clients and customers; Applications & Middleware, which manages and supports applications, integration services, identity management and data management; Information Security, which helps protect virtual or physical information; and Technology Infrastructure, which provides administration and support for the software, hardware, and services needed to support the campus IT environment. Information Services also includes the Advanced Network Technology Center. IS works closely with the Network for Education and Research in Oregon.
Established in 1876, the University of Oregon offers a breadth and depth of curricula with more than 270 academic programs and provides the opportunity to work at a respected research university with a strong holistic liberal arts foundation. The UO also has a history of political and social involvement that embraces diverse beliefs, cultures, and values, and it is committed to environmental responsibility.
The University is also proud of its newly-announced Phil and Penny Knight Campus for Accelerating Scientific Impact, an initiative specifically designed to fast-track scientific discoveries and the process of turning those discoveries into innovations that improve the quality of life for people in Oregon, the nation and beyond. Information Services collaborates with Research and Innovation and our schools and colleges to support the research, teaching, and learning mission of the University.
Eugene is the home of the University of Oregon. Located in the lush Willamette Valley, Eugene is well-known for outdoor pursuits like running, cycling, rafting, and fishing, as well as arts, music, crafts, brewing, wine-making, and community-supported agriculture. With branches in Portland and on the Oregon coast, the UO is deeply connected to Oregon's natural and cultural treasures.
Reporting to the Director of Software Solutions and Data Services, the Database and Application Administrator works collaboratively with other IT professionals to provide a stable and robust set of data management and application services to campus. This includes, but is not limited to: database, middleware, systems and network administrators; application systems analysts and developers; data integration specialists; business intelligence and analytics specialists; cloud specialists; data architects. This position works closely with IT professionals to analyze, troubleshoot, integrate, and tune applications, with the focus on the underlying databases and data structures.
This position works on and leads a team of database administrators to implement and maintain multi-tier applications and their underlying databases. This position will be critical in upgrading, monitoring, fixing, configuring and backing up database systems. The position is expected to evolve with technology changes and shifts in data management paradigms. The data systems it will manage may be located on site, in one or more cloud locations, or in a combination of on-site and cloud locations. It may be expected to work with structured and unstructured data, depending on the needs of the supported clientele.
The Database and Application Administrator will take independent action to ensure all technical solutions are compliant with industry guidelines, administrative rules and regulations, and local, state, and federal laws.
This position is be expected to apply broad knowledge to standard and non-standard technical applications to solve a wide range of problems and accomplish tasks.
This position may provide essential services during times of emergencies and inclement weather. This position may be required to fulfill essential services and functions during these times.
On Call Rotation:
This position may be required to participate in an on call rotation. Being on call requires the participant to live in an area with cell phone reception or to be within cell phone reception for the entire duration of the on call period. On call also requires the participant to be within a 1 hour drive of the UO campus for the entire duration of the on call period to be able to respond to issues if needed. On call periods are typically 1-4 weeks in duration.
Candidates who promote and enhance diversity are strongly desired.
• A basic foundation of knowledge and skills in systems analysis and related programming support functions generally obtained by a bachelor’s degree in computer science, or related area, or an equivalent amount of training and applied experience.
• Advanced, enterprise-level Oracle and/or MySQL database administration.
• Ability to adapt and support change within a rapidly evolving technical environment.
• Ability to work collaboratively with a team of diverse IT professionals, clients, and partners. Demonstrated ability to create, monitor, upgrade, patch, back up and secure production-critical databases.
• Ability using SQL in a moderate to complex environment.
• Knowledge and understanding of the importance of protecting sensitive and private data.
• Ability to install and configure software in a Linux or UNIX environment.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to explain technical concepts to diverse audiences.
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent professional experience.
• Three years of experience in a technical role focusing in database administration.
• Experience working within technical teams and on complex projects.
• Experience managing service delivery within an on-premise and/or cloud based environment.
• Experience administering Elluician’s Banner ERP application and other ERP administration.
• Experience supporting data decision support systems.
• Experience administering or integrating on-premise databases with cloud database systems.
• Experience with non-relational databases.
• Experience configuring and administering multi-tier applications that include databases.
• Experience configuring and administrating clustered, distributed or replicated database systems.
• Experience supporting database systems in both on-premise and cloud environments.
• Experience architecting and tuning data structures.
• Experience with PL/SQL, Java, Groovy, C or other programming languages.
• Experience with basic project management.
• Experience with ITIL or ITSM.
FLSA Exempt: No
All offers of employment are contingent upon successful completion of a background inquiry.
This is a classified position represented by the SEIU Local 503, Oregon Public Employees Union.
University of Oregon students and employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. For additional information see: https://coronavirus.uoregon.edu/vaccine.
The University of Oregon is proud to offer a robust benefits package to eligible employees, including health insurance, retirement plans, and paid time off. For more information about benefits, visit http://hr.uoregon.edu/careers/about-benefits.