Job no: 528901
Work type: Classified Staff
Location: Eugene, OR
Categories: Information Technology, Operations/Infrastructure, Computer and Information Science
Department: Information Services
Classification: Oper Systems-Network Analyst 2
Appointment Type and Duration: Regular, Ongoing
Salary: $24.38 - $45.24 per hour
Review of Applications Begins
Application review begins March 4, 2022; position open until filled
Special Instructions to Applicants
To be considered for this position, applicants must submit a complete application including an online application, a cover letter, and resume that address how you meet the minimum and preferred qualifications.https://careers.uoregon.edu/en-us/job/528901/systems-engineer
Please email email@example.com for a full position description.
Note this position is hybrid or on-site eligible, however not available for fully remote work.
Information Services (IS) is the central information technology unit for the University of Oregon. IS provides and supports campus-wide services in the areas of technology support, enterprise applications, middleware, database administration, information security, systems and operations, and data networking and telecommunications. IS also includes the Advanced Network Technology Center and works closely with the Network for Education and Research in Oregon.
The University of Oregon was established in 1876. It offers a breadth and depth of curricula through its 270 academic programs and provides the opportunity to work at a respected research university with a strong holistic, liberal arts foundation. The UO also has a history of political and social involvement that embraces diverse beliefs, cultures, and values, and it is committed to environmental responsibility.
Eugene is the home of the University of Oregon. Located in the lush Willamette Valley, Eugene is well-known for outdoor pursuits like running, cycling, rafting, and fishing, as well as arts, music, crafts, brewing, wine-making, and community-supported agriculture. With branches in Portland and on the Oregon coast, the UO is deeply connected to Oregon's natural and cultural treasures.
Reporting to the Manager of Data Center Infrastructure, the Systems Engineer will be a member of the Enterprise Systems group, responsible for the engineering and administration of enterprise storage and virtualization systems.
This position will function in the following key areas:
• Systems engineering and administration specializing in enterprise storage and operating systems virtualization.
• Operations, performance monitoring, troubleshooting
• Application infrastructure management
• Service request fulfillment
• On-call and after-hours support
The position does not directly supervise any employees; however, this individual is responsible for coordinating work within the Data Center Infrastructure team as well as other units across Information Services. The position is also responsible for developing and updating documentation for Operations staff to follow. This position will have contact with students, staff, faculty, vendors, and community members on a daily basis via email, phone, and in-person contact. This position will be required to participate in and sometimes conduct internal training for peers. This person is expected to communicate in a positive, collaborative, and appropriate manner with others.
This position will perform duties within department and/or OR-OSHA guidelines and training stipulations and may be required to use any applicable safety equipment. This position is expected to perform duties in accordance with current industry best practices and standards and OUS/UO policies and procedures, as well as in compliance with Federal, State, and local laws, and will take steps to ensure all technical solutions are compliant with industry guidelines, administrative rules and regulations, and local, state, and federal laws.
This position will perform research and make recommendations regarding hardware, software, storage, and other technology implementation in support of computer services. This position occasionally takes action independent of direct input or direction of management, using knowledge and good judgment to enhance features, solve problems, and provide technical solutions. The individual works on a team of data center engineers to facilitate the development of judgment and problem-solving skills. This position will have senior team members to use for guidance and to vet high-impact decisions. The position will participate in both formal and informal procurement, and other decision-making with financial implications, but the position will have no budget authority.
This position reports to the Manager of Data Center Infrastructure. Work will be reviewed informally on a weekly basis through in person meetings and work tracking systems. Annual formal reviews to evaluate performance and accomplishments will be conducted according to the SEIU collective bargaining agreement.
The position may function as an incident first responder or as part of an emergency response team in the case of a campus emergency, and may be required to report during a campus emergency.
• This classification requires a basic foundation of knowledge in operating systems programs, maintenance, systems administration, and network systems that would normally be obtained through a bachelor’s degree, preferably in computer science, engineering mathematics, telecommunications or a related technical field; or equivalent technical training and/or experience.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Skill and ability to successfully communicate complex technical and operational issues to non-technical users
• Strong multi-tasking skills
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience typically gained through 2-6 years of enterprise application and/or systems administration experience
• Advanced experience working on a team of technical staff
• One or more years' Linux, Windows or VMware systems administration experience in a production environment with demonstrated increasing responsibility
• One or more years' (can be simultaneous with systems administration) application administration experience with primary responsibilities to maintain critical applications and infrastructure
• Strong foundation of knowledge in Systems and Applications Administration principles, including but not limited to systems automation, change management, capacity planning and documentation
• Experience with technology implementation projects on an enterprise-wide scale
• Experience providing high-availability services to enterprise clients
• Knowledge of authentication integration via Active Directory
• Experience securely provisioning Windows and Linux servers for production-level services
• Advanced expertise automatically configuring and maintaining Windows and Linux Servers using configuration management systems
• Experience participating in large scale computing initiatives
• Experience managing and migrating VMware virtual machines in a vSphere 6 environment
• Experience with F5s or other High Availability Load Balancers
• Experience managing and migrating Netapp Data On Tap systems
• Experience with common project management concepts and practices
• Experience with change management and incident management concepts and pr
FLSA Exempt: No
All offers of employment are contingent upon successful completion of a background inquiry.
This is a classified position represented by the SEIU Local 503, Oregon Public Employees Union.
University of Oregon students and employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. For additional information see: https://coronavirus.uoregon.edu/vaccine.
The University of Oregon is proud to offer a robust benefits package to eligible employees, including health insurance, retirement plans, and paid time off. For more information about benefits, visit http://hr.uoregon.edu/careers/about-benefits.