160 Fifth Avenue
The Handyperson will assist the Facilities Manager to maintain the appearance of the office space. Candidate must be able to work onsite and be able to adapt to changing work schedules to meet the Simons Foundation's needs. Candidate must be able to effectively communicate with all occupants in the office space. The working hours for this position are 3:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m.
This is a temporary opportunity that could become a permanent position for the right candidate.
Handyperson duties would include, but not limited to:
- Ensure that all foundation spaces are presentable and in good working order.
- Identify and report any need for major repairs.
- Identify and correct minor deficiencies.
- Undertake duties as assigned or emergency tasks.
- Perform light electrical maintenance, replacing light switches and outlets.
- Maintain lighting systems throughout the facility, replacing bulbs and lamps as needed.
- Perform furniture assembly, carpentry and locksmith tasks.
- Perform preventative maintenance on appliances.
- Ensure all supplies are well organized and stored in appropriate areas.
- Maintain tools and equipment in a clean, orderly and safe manner.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Good eye/hand coordination is essential.
- Ability to function both inside and outside in all types of weather.
- Ability to understand construction drawings.
- Ability to interact with occupants and handle complaints with reasonable discretion.
- Ability to use small handheld tools and power tools.
- Ability to use larger power and construction equipment, buffing machines, extraction.
- Skills and experiences we are seeking in a candidate are as follows:
- Spackling, painting, sheet rocking and skim coating
- Assembling, repairing and modifying furniture
- Troubleshooting and correcting small plumbing issues such as replacing faucets, changing filters, etc.
- Undertake light installation, build cabinets and drawers
- Troubleshooting and repairing appliances
- Installing drapes, blinds
- Flooring repairs, VCT, carpeting
- Experience as a general construction laborer
- Must be customer service oriented.
- Written and oral communication in English.
- Must be able crouch, kneel, crawl and climb.
- Physical requirements include walking and standing for long periods of time (often 4-8 hours), climbing stairs, kneeling to clean floors, pushing and pulling objects, lifting and moving objects (up to 50 lbs.), repetitive bending and lifting, and repetitive arm movement.
- Must be able to work rotating shifts, overtime, occasional nights, weekends, holidays when required and respond to office emergencies.
THE SIMONS FOUNDATION'S DIVERSITY COMMITMENT
Many of the greatest ideas and discoveries come from a diverse mix of minds, backgrounds and experiences, and we are committed to cultivating an inclusive work environment.The Simons Foundation actively seeks a diverse applicant pool and encourages candidates of all backgrounds to apply.We provide equal opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, age, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic disposition, neurodiversity, disability, veteran status, or any other protected category under federal, state and local law.