Job no: 529239
Work type: Officer of Administration
Location: Eugene, OR, Other-Site
Categories: Information Technology, Operations/Infrastructure
Department: Information Services / Infrastructure & Engineering
Appointment Type and Duration: Regular, Ongoing
Salary: $77,000 - $94,000 per year
Compensation Band: OS-OA09-Fiscal Year 2021-2022
Application Review Begins
May 2nd, 2022; open until filled
Special Instructions to Applicants
To be considered for this position, applicants must submit a complete application, including an online application, resume, and cover letter conveying how you meet the Minimum Qualifications and any Preferred Qualifications.
To be considered for this position, applicants must submit a complete application through the UO Career page: https://careers.uoregon.edu/en-us/job/529239/network-engineer
Information Services (IS) is the central information technology unit at the University of Oregon and provides wide ranging services to campus. Information Services consists of four major functional areas: Customer Experience, which serves as the key contact point for interactions with campus clients and customers; Applications & Middleware, which manages and supports applications, integration services, identity management and data management; Information Security, which helps protect virtual or physical information; and Technology Infrastructure, which provides administration and support for the software, hardware, and services needed to support the campus IT environment. Information Services also includes the Advanced Network Technology Center. IS works closely with the Network for Education and Research in Oregon.
Established in 1876, the University of Oregon offers a breadth and depth of curricula with more than 270 academic programs and provides the opportunity to work at a respected research university with a strong holistic, liberal arts foundation. The UO also has a history of political and social involvement that embraces diverse beliefs, cultures, and values, and it is committed to environmental responsibility.
The University is also proud of its newly-announced Phil and Penny Knight Campus for Accelerating Scientific Impact, an initiative specifically designed to fast-track scientific discoveries and the process of turning those discoveries into innovations that improve the quality of life for people in Oregon, the nation and beyond. Information Services collaborates with Research and Innovation and our schools and colleges to support the research, teaching, and learning mission of the University.
Eugene is the home of the University of Oregon. Located in the lush Willamette Valley, Eugene is well-known for outdoor pursuits like running, cycling, rafting, and fishing, as well as arts, music, crafts, brewing, wine-making, and community-supported agriculture. With branches in Portland and on the Oregon coast, the UO is deeply connected to Oregon's natural and cultural treasures.
Reporting to the Assistant Director of Network Operations, the Network Engineer provides technical leadership in the design, installation, and maintenance of network hardware and software for the campus network (UOnet) and its connection to the Internet.
The incumbent in this position is responsible for providing network access to all faculty, students, and staff and ensuring fast, reliable, and secure data network connectivity within the University.
The Network Engineer will work with other engineers and IT professionals to troubleshoot network connectivity issues and implement solutions to solve problems. Though this position does not directly supervise, the Network Engineer possesses authority to formulate and carry out management decisions, represent management’s interests, and take discretionary actions as appropriate. This position carries out and makes decisions at a high level, which affects the overall functioning of the University and productivity of the UO community using computing resources.
The Network Engineer will work collaboratively with the Associate Director of Network Operations as well as other Network Engineers to strategize on large scale projects and strategic efforts to help the organization achieve its goals and mission.
This position may provide essential services during times of emergencies and inclement weather. This position may be required to fulfill essential services and functions during these times.
The incumbent will be part of an on-call rotation and may be expected to work weekends.
Candidates who promote and enhance diversity are strongly desired.
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent education and experience.
• Two years of network hardware and software experience, including extensive experience with TCP/IP IPv4 and IPv6 networks and experience configuring network equipment from a variety of vendors such as Cisco Systems and Juniper Networks.
We welcome applications from candidates with diverse professional backgrounds, and we acknowledge that the professional competencies for this role can be developed through a variety of ways.
• Ability to work effectively with faculty, staff, and students from a variety of diverse backgrounds.
• Demonstrated problem solving skills.
• Ability to adapt within a rapidly changing technical environment.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to explain technical concepts to audiences with a wide range of technical skills.
• Ability to work independently as well as in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
• Ability to operate and communicate effectively while meeting deadlines and completing projects.
• Experience working with routing protocols and routing architectures, including MPLS, VRF, BGP, OSPFv2/v3, Spanning Tree, VRRP, HSRP, QoS, on multiple vendor platforms.
• Understanding and experience with IPv6, IP Multicast and Voice over IP.
• Experience providing enterprise network services to medium or large organization (250 or more staff).
• Experience using programming languages such as Python, PERL, Ansible, etc.
• Experience with ITIL or ITSM.
• Current Cisco or Juniper certification: CCNA, JNCIE or equivalent professional enterprise network certification(s).
• Experience working in an IT higher education environment.
FLSA Exempt: Yes
All offers of employment are contingent upon successful completion of a background inquiry.
University of Oregon students and employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. For additional information see: https://coronavirus.uoregon.edu/vaccine.
The University of Oregon is proud to offer a robust benefits package to eligible employees, including health insurance, retirement plans and paid time off. For more information about benefits, visit http://hr.uoregon.edu/careers/about-benefits.