Job no: 530268
Work type: Classified Staff
Location: Eugene, OR
Categories: Facilities/Grounds/Skilled Trades
Department: Campus Planning & Facilities Management
Classification: Trades/Maintenance Worker 2
Appointment Type and Duration: Regular, Ongoing
Review of Applications Begins
Position closes October 3, 2022
Special Instructions to Applicants
To be considered for this position, applicants must submit a complete online application. Applications must be submitted here https://careers.uoregon.edu/cw/en-us/job/530268/trades-maintenance-worke...
What will you do as a Trades Maintenance Worker 2 in Facilities Services?
Trades Maintenance Worker 2 provides support for all areas of campus covered by the University of Oregon Facilities Services. The incumbents are responsible for a wide range of maintenance and repair activities in the areas of plumbing, carpentry, painting, and mechanical systems as well as general support for Facilities Structures and Support, Electrical Shop, HVAC and Plumbing Shop. This position we are hiring for works four 10-hour graveyard shifts: Monday 8:00pm - Friday 6:30am. It mainly focuses on construction/carpentry trades, general maintenance, classroom furniture and infrastructure.
This is the second level of a two-level series. It is distinguished from the lower level by responsibility for performing tasks independently without guidance of a skilled tradesperson. At this level, employees are expected to determine the best methods and sequence of tasks to accomplish assigned duties efficiently and effectively. Employees in this class may assist a variety of journey level tradespeople and may be considered a jack-of-all-trades.
Interactions/contacts occur daily with the campus community in the course of performing work and responding to emergencies. This position is a representative and frequently the face of Facilities Services. Exceptional customer service is required at all times. It is essential that tasks be completed in a timely and accurate manner while exercising good judgment in requesting assistance when appropriate.
Work is reviewed directly by the Structures & Support Manager to ensure it is performed efficiently, safely, and meets both expectations and applicable requirements. A performance appraisal is conducted annually.
This position will require a valid driver’s license and the ability to obtain UO Driver’s Certification.
This unit may provide essential services during times of emergencies and inclement weather. This position may be required to fulfill essential services and functions during these times.
To be considered for this role, you must have… (Minimum Qualifications)
- Three years of general building maintenance experience in one or more of the following trade areas: carpentry, electrical, mechanical, painting, plumbing, and welding.
It’s preferred if you have... (Preferred Qualifications)
- Experience with basic preventive maintenance in commercial buildings.
- Experience with carpet installation and hard floor installation.
For success in this role you will need to... (Professional Competencies)
• Perform duties in a way that advances and supports the mission of the department and University.
• Work effectively in a diverse team environment and create effective relationships for problem-solving and positive interactions.
• Take initiative, looking for what needs to be done and doing it.
• Pay close attention to detail.
• Maintain a safe and safety-conscious workplace.
• Maintain a respectful workplace and model a positive and proactive attitude.
• Model the highest ethical standards.
• Provide superior customer service.
Who We Are:
Campus Planning and Facilities Management (CPFM) is a vibrant department, which comprises five units, and approximately 270 employees: Facilities Services, Utilities & Energy, Campus Planning, Office of Sustainability, and Design & Construction. We plan, build, maintain, and operate the infrastructure that supports the University of Oregon's mission of exceptional teaching, discovery, and public service. As stewards of a physical legacy, we enable the university community to achieve its potential by providing a campus that is safe, clean, beautiful, inspiring, and environmentally responsible.
Facilities Services (FS) is responsible for the management of human, financial and material resources, the development and implementation of programs, policies and procedures related to the operation, maintenance, repair and minor renovation of university buildings, grounds and infrastructure systems. These services provide the University of Oregon community with a safe, efficient, reliable, functional and aesthetically pleasing learning environment in support of the University’s mission and vision.
Why you should work at University of Oregon:
- 40-hour work week with consistent hours and limited travel.
- A positive work environment, committed team-building and a strong sense of community.
- Paid on-the-job training and professional growth within the position.
- Excellent benefits including health, dental, retirement plans, and generous paid time off.
- This position is automatically enrolled in the Oregon Public Service Retirement Plan (PERS/OPSRP) after meeting the qualifying conditions.
- UO offers a tuition discount for eligible employees or family members in participating programs at UO or other Oregon public universities.