Location: Eugene, OR
Categories: Administrative/Professional, Construction/Planning, Facilities/Grounds/Skilled Trades, Operations/Infrastructure, Planning/Project Management, Engineering/Biomedical Engineering
Department: Campus Planning & Facilities Management
Appointment Type and Duration: Regular, Ongoing
Salary: $88,000-$92,000 per year
Compensation Band: OS-OA08-Fiscal Year 2022-2023
Application Review Begins
March 24, 2023; open until filled
Special Instructions to Applicants
To be considered for this position, please submit the following documents with your online application:
1) A resume
2) A cover letter: In your cover letter, please address how you meet the minimum and preferred qualifications of this position and what your management experience is as it relates to the mechanical and plumbing trades. Use brief, but specific examples in the body of the cover letter.
All applications must be submitted here, https://careers.uoregon.edu/en-us/job/531382/mechanical-and-plumbing-sho...
Campus Planning and Facilities Management (CPFM) is a vibrant department, which comprises five units, and approximately 270 employees: Facilities Services, Utilities & Energy, Campus Planning, Office of Sustainability, and Design & Construction. We plan, build, maintain, and operate the infrastructure that supports the University of Oregon's mission of exceptional teaching, discovery, and public service. As stewards of a physical legacy, we enable the university community to achieve its potential by providing a campus that is safe, clean, beautiful, inspiring, and environmentally responsible.
Facilities Services (FS) is responsible for the management of human, financial and material resources, the development and implementation of programs, policies and procedures related to the operation, maintenance, repair and minor renovation of university buildings, grounds, and infrastructure systems. These services provide the University of Oregon community with a safe, efficient, reliable, functional and aesthetically pleasing learning environment in support of the University’s mission and vision.
The Mechanical and Plumbing Shop Manager is specifically tasked to work with the Associate Director of Building Systems and peers to provide and maintain mechanical and plumbing systems conducive to teaching and research; safeguard the capital investment in the University's buildings, continually evaluate and administer effective professional criteria and standards for the design, construction, and maintenance of all mechanical and plumbing buildings systems; and aid the Associate Director to develop and administer cost-effective maintenance programs for these building system elements by determining staffing, equipment and capital needs for each section.
This position has oversight of the Mechanical and Plumbing Shops working in tandem with other supervisors to ensure the continuity of service to the Campus Community. This position reports to the CPFM Associate Director (AD) of Facilities Services, Building Systems. This position is responsible for the overall operation and daily management of the Mechanical and Plumbing Shops, including overall review of work, ensuring code compliance and adherence to UO policies and procedures. The Mechanical and Plumbing Shop Manager is expected to conduct periodic drop in inspections of subordinate personnel’s work and provide mentoring opportunities where appropriate.
This position works directly with AD to develop and manage the corrective, program and preventative maintenance budgets and programs related to the functions of buildings falling within the Facilities Services budget responsibilities. Decisions related to reactive and corrective maintenance actions directly affect established maintenance budgets and customer service levels. Duties include administering associated fiscal policies, procedures, and management; monitoring individual program budgets; and providing technical assistance on repair and renovation budgets.
The Mechanical and Plumbing Shop Manager will develop and implement work-monitoring procedures to ensure work assignments are completed in a cost-efficient and timely manner, and in compliance with applicable regulations and industry/quality standards.
This position coordinates and consults with the Associate Director of Facilities Services and a wide variety of departments, campus users and administrators to verify and program content and effectiveness are meeting the needs and requirements of customers. This position will work with the AD, Director of Facilities Services, peers, and subordinates in developing a strong customer orientation and ensuring delivery of facility-related services to campus in an effective and timely manner. Contacts made by this position are critical to achieving Facilities Services goals and objectives.
This position is responsible for approximately 8-15 FTE and 0-10 student positions.
The Mechanical and Plumbing Shop Manager manages staff to achieve the goals and objectives of Facilities Services in an effective and efficient manner, and ensure compliance with employment law, union collective bargaining agreement as well as State & University policies. Requires knowledge of the principles and practices of state and federal employment law and University of Oregon personnel policies and practices.
This position exercises independent judgment and decision making on a daily basis. These decisions include problem-solving, ensuring consistency within Facilities Services Mechanical and Plumbing sub-units, and making staffing and budgetary decisions in support of the Facilities Services Core Principles and Mission.
Actions and decisions are critical in determining the short- and long-range maintenance and construction goals of the University, affect the commitment of major resources in excess of millions of dollars and affect the life, health, and safety of staff, students, and the public. Decisions affect the delivery of services to the University, and the position is responsible for ensuring compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
This position will perform a variety of other duties and special projects in support of FS as assigned by the Director and Associate Director that may include meetings, serving on committees, attending special training and conferences, and coordinating or directing special projects.
It is an essential requirement of this position to qualify for and maintain UO driver's certification eligibility, which includes maintaining an Oregon driver’s license throughout employment in this position.
On Call Rotation:
This position will be required to participate in an on call rotation. Being on call requires the participant to live in an area with cell phone reception or to be within cell phone reception for the entire duration of the on call period. On call also requires the participant to be within a 1 hour drive of the UO campus for the entire duration of the on call period to be able to respond to issues if needed. On call periods are typically 1-4 weeks in duration.
This unit may provide essential services during times of emergencies and inclement weather. This position may be required to fulfill essential services and functions during these times.
Bachelor’s Degree and two years of experience in the areas below, OR any combination equaling six years of education and experience in the areas below:
• Demonstrated experience with the principles and practices of construction and engineering, contract administration, construction management, specialty trade functions, and construction design criteria.
• Demonstrated experience managing a budget.
• Demonstrated experience supervising unionized personnel and collective bargaining agreements.
• Demonstrated experience in facility management within the public sector (state facility, college, university, or other public multi-facility complex).
• Demonstrated experience in supervisory and managerial principles and practices.
• Analytical and problem-solving – gathering and synthesizing complex or diverse information and identifying and creating innovative solutions to complex problems.
• Written and oral communication – writing and speaking clearly and persuasively in various situations including via email and conducting productive meetings.
• Delegation – making work assignments, giving authority to work independently, setting expectations, monitoring delegated activities and providing accountability.
• Leadership – inspiring and motivating others to perform well and accepting feedback from others.
• Management skills – including staff in planning, decision-making, facilitating and process improvement; making oneself available to staff; providing regular performance feedback; developing subordinates’ skills and encouraging growth.
• Customer service and quality management – providing and expecting exceptional customer service; looking for ways to improve and promote quality and demonstrate accuracy and thoroughness.
• Respectful workplace – creating and maintaining a culture of respect and inclusion in which employees are valued, communication is polite and courteous, conflict is addressed appropriately, and inappropriate behavior is addressed swiftly.
• Judgment – displaying a willingness to make decisions, exhibiting sound and accurate judgment, and making timely decisions.
• Planning/organizing – prioritizing and planning work activities, using time efficiently and developing realistic action plans.
• Safety and security – observing safety and security procedures, using equipment and materials properly and expecting employees to do the same.
• Position requires a commitment to the University’s affirmative action and equal opportunity goals and the diversity plans of the University and CPFM. Position requires a commitment to maintain the highest ethical standards within the department and University.
• Degree in Engineering from accredited school.
• Experience with HVAC control systems such as those manufactured by Siemens, Johnson, Honeywell or Robert Shaw.
• Oregon Plumbing License
• Certification from HVAC Training/Educational organization.
• Oregon Limited Energy Class B or higher electrical license.
FLSA Exempt: Yes