The Facilities Maintenance and Engineering (FME) mission is to support the NCI at Frederick in their mission to cure cancer and AIDS. FME is responsible for the physical campus - its research laboratory space, administrative space, the infrastructure that supports the buildings, and the landscape that surrounds them. In addition, we are responsible for managing, planning, designing, and construction management of renovations at the FNLCR.
Manages HVAC shop operations to include but not limited to, manpower, material, workflow, inventory, scheduling, time approval, manage complete Preventative Maintenance (PM) program, reporting shop performance metrics
- Coordinating and communicating of preventative maintenance, special assist, work orders, and projects with FME staff, external contractors under the guidance of the Facility Manager
- Safety awareness and implementation of safety policies and procedures, weekly toolbox talks
- Assigning work to staff, and daily plans
- Inspecting work
- Preparing labor and material cost estimates
- Making recommendations to improve efficiency of operations including contributions for improvement to departmental initiatives
- Writing annual performance reviews
- Providing after hour support when needed
- Performs other related duties and backs up Facility Manager and Facility Operations
- Work in a computerized management system (CMS) that tracks all work orders.
- Ability to inventory and track stock both shop and departmental, order and distribute supplies when needed
- Schedule and coordinate outside contractors and vendors
- Ability to exercise responsibility in the care of tools and vehicles assigned to shops.
To be considered for this position, you must minimally meet the knowledge, skills, and abilities listed below:
- Possession of a BS degree from an accredited college or university (according to CHEA). Additional qualifying experience may be substituted for the required education
- Foreign degrees must be evaluated for U.S. equivalency
- In addition to the education requirements, a minimum of four (4) years progressively responsible job-related experience with 1 year minimum supervisory experience
- Universal Certification by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Knowledge of the principles and theories of air conditioning and refrigeration’s such as the refrigeration cycle, heat transfer laws, the use of refrigerant tables
- 4 to 6 years of experience in the installation, maintenance and repair of commercial/industrial HVAC systems, steam, water and sewer system
- Ability to read and interpret, instructions, blueprints, and work orders
- Experience with construction safety practices
- Strong interpersonal and communication skill both verbal and written
- Must have the ability to routinely lift and carry up to 50 lbs.; climb stairs and ladders; work involves bending, stooping and working in confined areas; potential exposure to particulates, vapors or noisy environment.
- Must have and maintain a valid State Driver’s License issued by the state in which the incumbent/candidate resides for each class of vehicle to be operated on company business
- Must have no more than 3 demerit points in the previous twelve (12) months or five (5) demerit points in the preceding thirty-six (36) months as determined by the Leidos Biomed Use of Government Owned or Leased Vehicles Policy
- Must possess knowledge of and experience in commercial level chillers, AHU, cooling towers, refrigeration including ultra-low freezers, steam systems, BAS and associated control systems, compressed gas including medical grade, RO systems, sprinkler systems
- Ability to supervise, motivate, and coordinate all support shop functions as associated
- Experience with OSHA standards and contemporary safety practices
- Analyze data and situations and make sound data-driven decisions
- Ability to provide support by telephone and in person for after-hours activities
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and manage multiple priorities with attention to detail
- Ability to compose and draft professional correspondence including but not limited to disciplinary action when needed
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a security clearance
Candidates with these desired skills will be given preferential consideration:
- Knowledge of Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Word
- CPR / first aid certification
- OSHA 30
- 70E certified
This position may require continuous or intermittent exposure to and exertion in environmental conditions such as working outdoors, temperature extremes, humidity extremes. etc. as part of the job.