The Department of Energy is planning research infrastructure upgrades to multiple user facilities. The U.S. House of Representatives passed three bills in November of 2017 to provide funding for these projects.
The Research Infrastructure Act directs and authorizes the Secretary of Energy to:
- Upgrade the Advanced Light Source at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.
- Complete the Linac Coherent Light Source II high-energy upgrade at Stanford Linear Accelerator Center.
- Complete construction of the Facility for Rare Isotope Beams at Michigan State University.
The Accelerating American Leadership in Science Act directs and authorizes the Secretary of Energy to:
- Upgrade the Advanced Photon Source at Argonne National Laboratory.
- Construct Fermilab's Long Baseline Neutrino Facility at the Sanford Underground Research Facility.
- Provide a proton power upgrade to the Spallation Neutron Source at Oak Ridge National Laboratory.
- Construct a second target station for the Spallation Neutron Source.
The Nuclear Energy Research Infrastructure Act directs and authorizes the Secretary of Energy to construct a Versatile Neutron Source.