The Davis Companies is planning to construct a three-story, 161,616-rsf research facility in Cambridge, Mass. Strategically sited in a new life sciences cluster called The Quad, the purpose-built structure will provide Class A lab and office environments for biomedical and pharmaceutical firms. Features of 101 Smith Place include:
- Floor-to-floor heights of up to 18 feet.
- Column bay spacing of 21 feet on center with 53 feet of open bay between exterior and building core.
- Live floor load capacity of 100 PSF.
- Robust HVAC infrastructure providing .75 CFM per sf for lab and 0.25 CFM per sf for office.
- Electrical capacity of 15 watts per sf for lab and 9 watts per sf for office.
- A sophisticated plumbing system with centralized pH neutralization and an integrated tepid water loop.
The amenity-rich development will incorporate a fitness center with showers and locker rooms, indoor bike storage, a dining venue, and one level of underground parking. Tenants will benefit from 5,250 sf of dedicated space in the 16,821-sf mechanical penthouse, which will house a central chiller, a hot water plant, air handling units, and lab exhaust systems. Erland Construction will deliver the lab-ready project as a core and shell building to allow for tenant customizations. LEED Gold sustainable design certification will be sought for the facility, which is slated for completion in spring of 2023.