The Department of Homeland Security announced the finalists for the possible location of the National Bio and Agro-Defense Facility (NBAF) in August of 2008. The five locations reported as finalists are:
- Umstead Research Farm, Butner, N.C.; 195 acres of unimproved land in Granville County.
- Texas Research Park, San Antonio, Texas; 100 acres within the 1,236-acre Texas Research Park in Bexar and Medina counties.
- Manhattan Campus, Manhattan, Kan.; 45 acres adjacent to several Kansas State University research labs including the Biosecurity Research Institute.
- South Milledge Avenue, Athens, Ga.; a 67-acre horse pasture in Athens-Clarke County.
- Flora Industrial Park - Flora, Miss.; a 150-acre site in Madison County.